New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quiet case tumblers
 Login/Join

<JCCD>
posted
I have a Lyman vibratory case tumbler that does a good job but is very loud. Are most of the other tuumblers on the market the same? I think I saw one being demonstrated at a gun show one time that didn't make much noise at all, but I can't remember what it was called.

<Rezdog>
posted
Make sure the little feet on the bottom of the bowl are lined up with and sitting on the raised discs on the top of housing. Also insure that you have enough media in the bowl and don't try to do too many cases at a time. I cover mine with a large square of cloth to keep the dust contained (I cut a buttonhole in the center of the dust shroud so it will hang on the top nut and not vibrate off). I set my tumbler right on the kitchen counter and noise isn't bad at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I might have the quietest 'tumbler' on this forum. But again, I don't own one. I don't normally tumble brass, but recently have done some moly coating of cast bullets. So- I took my bang box filled with blankets, took the top one out and wrapped the container of bullets securely in it- and set this box in the clothers dryer. Couple old pillows for a complete fill of said tumbler to secure the box and set the contraption on tumble bullets- air fluff.

Bang box= cardboard box with 3" of newprint folded at the bottom with two old large blankets folded on top. Cast bullets are shot very slowly into it for measurements.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It helps to run the thing on a concrete floor, rather than a counter top that might act as a sounding board.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JCCD>
posted
The feet on the bottom of the bowl weren't on the discs on the base. I put them were they are supposed to be and it helps a lot.