New
Find
Notify
Tools

? For Seafire/B17G
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a friend who wants to take his dad hunting, however, his dad has a pacemaker and can't tolerate recoil. What powder puff loads can you recommend that would be effective deer slayers between 50 and 150 yards. The gun in question is a Marlin 336CS in 35 Remington. I offered the use of this gun simply because his dad is left handed.

I can lend him an old mauser in 6m/m Rem, but it's being rebedded and may not be ready for hunting season, other than that all I can offer him is a varmint rig.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesIt's just one man's opinion ,but the 35 Rem. isn't the rifle to use to obtain reduced recoil for effective use out to 150 yds. cheersroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bartsche
You're probably right, but I was hoping something like a 158 or even a 180 grain pistol bullet might work, even if it reduces range a bit.
Just looking for ideas...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckshot;

I have played with the 30/30 and the 444 but not the 35 Remington here... but hopefully a little triangilation here will yield what you are looking for...

For accuracy over Blue Dot, in those cases, I would recommend looking at load data using SR 4759... SR 4759 has proven to be more accurate in the 30/30... and a little edge over Blue Dot in the 444...

it is bulky, and is neither position sensitive nor does it require anything more than standard large rifle primers...

ds
Did help a local friend who was shooting a 35 Rem and we worked with a 200 grain RN bullet..utilizing SR 4759...

Max load was 20 grains...He ended up using some that were between 15 and 17.5 grains...Velocity was within the 1700 fps range, which is fine for a lever action to 125 yds or so.. even with open sites...

you can also substitute that info with 20 grains max.. and 15 to 17.5 grains with IMR or H 4227.....or the 14 to 17.5 grains of 2400 also...

at 17.5 grains velocity should be in the 1700 to 1750 according to the notes that we took at the time...

He was really satisfied with the accuracy...

if you use the 6mm Rem.. 20 to 22.5 grains of Blue Dot with any bullet weight.. with a 95 grain ballistic tip, MV should be about 2600 fps...

Good luck...
cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Taking into consideration recoil, range, tubular magazine (I believe) and energy levels I went back into my data files and may have come up with something of use.

The 210gr.rn. gas checked bullets driven at 2000 fps. may be just the ticket. Since the force of friction to be overcome is far less for cast bullets the exhaust pressure is significanly less. This compounded with a smaller amount of gas yields greatly reduced noticeable recoil at a 30-30 energy level.

32gr. 680--2000fps+ 1/2" grp at 50 yds.

25.5gr. 4759(recommended)--1900fps+ great repeatability

I've taken Blue Dot loads to 1650 fps but no higher.

I'll be glad to mail you enough bullets at no cost other than shipping.

This old man likes light recoil also. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen~
Lot's of good advice, thanx!
Looking thru my powder store, I've got 2400, Blue Dot, Unique, Red Dot WW 540 &296. Looks like 2400 is the winner here. As for bullets, I'm still unsure which one to use.
Bartsche, funny you mention 680. I haven't had a can of WW 680 in almost twenty years! It was a favorite of mine in 45 Colt. I've since moved up to a insane charge of 296, but bullet offerings are plentiful compared to what they once were.
Once again, thank you,
buckshot