New
Find
Notify
Tools

BlueDot reduced loads in the .223Rem AI
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The first pic is the parameters of my testing as viewed on my Oehler M43 screen. Everything will remain consistent for all 4 test loads except the quantity of BlueDot powder. In the interest of saving space, and perhaps loading time for those still using dialup internet connections, I will not duplicate this screen for every powder increment. The listed 11.1gr of powder pertains to the initial test only. The RED tick mark on the trace indicates when the bullet exited the barrel.

These are reduced loads using BLUEDOT pistol powder.

Test #2--11.5gr Bluedot

Test #3--12.1gr Bluedot

Test#4--12.8gr Bluedot

[/IMG]

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornDave, Under Est. Pressure you have three numbers.Peak , Area ,and Rise. Would you elaborate on that please. And why are you calling these CHE tests? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peak=the observed peak pressure...the first shot of Test #1 would read peak pressure as 30,100 psi (M43)
Area=the area under the pressure curve measured from ignition to the bullet exit tick mark.
Rise=the time in microseconds from the 25% point to the 75% point of the pressure curve.

Vel13=the instrumental velocity in fps from S1 to S3.
Prf=a proof velocity is measured in fps from S1 to S2. A bullet crossing S1 starts two timers. The bullet stops the S2 and S3 timers in turn. The listed number is how many fps the bullet lost in velocity traveling the extra 2' from S2 to S3.

Another set of 3 detector skyscreens downrange can replace the acoustic target; up to 200 yards with the supplied amplifier. Even more if I bought an additional amplifier. But the nearest rifle range that is more than 100 yards is a prohibited driving distance away. I like the convenience of the acoustic target and the bullet's sonic boom stops the timer giving me an accurate BC...if I make sure to accurately measure the required distances. +or- 1 yard accuracy from a laser rangefinder just won't cut it. Thankfully, I do possess the ability to read a tape measure to a close enough tolerance.

I changed my mind about submitting these loads for the CHE vs M43 official testing...I loaded a rifle powder instead. But once I had them labeled I decided to share them anyway. I suppose I could fudge around with the header wording to make you happy, but why bother? I don't have a folder named "CHE" anywhere in my M43 files. This will be found in the "Bluedot" folder. And I'll know what it pertains to.

When you see it, disregard it. I didn't mean it to be confusing. OK? I'm not that proficient at typing on a laptop while standing.

My free account only gives me so much photohosting room, so these Photobucket pics will be deleted in about 1 week to make room for other pics.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the loads for each of the tests? It looks like you are starting at 11.1 but I don't see the others.

With 53gr BTHPs, I saw 2700 +/- fps at around 12.5gr of BD. I stopped at around 13.5-14.0 after seeing traditional pressure signs. they were running just under 3K fps.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kelbro:
What are the loads for each of the tests? It looks like you are starting at 11.1 but I don't see the others. .

popcornupper left above each pictoral.
fishingno fudgeing for my happiness needed. Thanks for the explanationbeerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Now I see them. Guess I was just drooling over the 74° entry. Cooled off to 103° here today.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue Dot 223 I like 13 gr with 60 gr bullets 2500 fps.
Blue Dot 223 I like 15 gr with 33 gr bullets 3500 fps.

Everything in between is in between.

Those are low pressure wimpy loads, but I have been doing them for 5 years, and shot thousands.

I have met the proponents of Blue Dot loads, Calhoon in MT and Seafire in OR. Those are very skilled handloaders and they know what they are doing. I would not want my kids working up Blue Dot loads on their first day handloading.

There some serious advantages to Blue Dot and some serious disadvantages.
*The case is not full, and if the powder dispenser cheats one case, it may give the next too much. It is flake powder, and that could happen. Each case needs to be checked with a probe.
* Blue Dot is erratic at high pressures. 18 gr Blue Dot 33 gr in 223 will be 4100 fps and no extractor groove growth or 4200 fps and .010" extractor groove growth. It is not like rifle powders that are very consistent on the threshold of case growth.
*Blue Dot can keep a barrel so clean, it looks like one shot was fired when 200 were fired.
* Blue Dot can keep the barrel so cool, 100 shots per hour are possible all day long with no cleaning and extreme accuracy maintained.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
onefunzr2

Dear Lad

I see that you are involve in a academic debate with Hot Sh#t. Please be careful with him, perhaps he is just a little grumpy and needs a hug.

You must realize that all you efforts to educate him are wasted but hopefully your results will keep him and his camp followers from polluting the minds of the beginning reloaders.

Perhaps we should take up a donation for his mental health visits.

Good luck in your efforts.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote