New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Quality Brand of .270 Win Brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got a .270 barrel for my R93 Blaser. I haven’t had a .270 in more than a decade and have none of my old components. I think somewhere between 200 and 400 cases would be a lifetime supply for me. In the choice between best price and a batch of cases that don’t require neck turning, culling, or sorting, I’ll pay extra for brass I can just take out and load. I’ve read that RWS is best but I don’t think they make .270 Win and I don’t want to reform. What brass is my best option in .270 Win?

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Norma works in generall best with me - but I have bought some nickel plated Remington´s for my .270 Win for safety reasons - so I could see in the fist look the difference with my .30-06 (which are all with the golden colour of the normal, brass (Norma)

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Before I gave my .270 to one of our sons I was using Winchester brass in it exclusively due to their capacity. I was filling them up with 62g and only a couple manufacturers could handle that load.

They seemed to work out fine without neck turning and lasted as expected. They weren't fabulous or pitiful either just seemed to work out.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We've got 3 .270's in the stable right now and I've been using the original 200 Federal cases that were purchased as factory ammo when it was relatively inexpensive here.

The Federal XXXXX (Power Point?=can't remember) 130 gr. bullet that they were topped off with were extremely accurate although (sigh) highly explosive, especially on Roe Deer.

I've been so impressed with the FC .270 Winchester brass that I bid on & purchased another 200 (once fired, & appears so, too) on Egun for an excellent (read=very low) price.

All 3 rifles shoot bug-hole groups but each with a different bullet, 130 gr. Swift Scirocco II's, 130 gr. Winchester Silvertips & 150 gr. Nosler Partitions.

Have fun with your new Blaser barrel; while I need another R93 barrel (8) like a hole in the head; either a .270 Winchester or 7x64 Brenneke are on the top of the short list. Let's see which is On Sale first!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used necked down 30.06 mil surplus, Remington, Federal, Hornady, and Winchester brass in the .270 Win.

I like Winchester the best. Like Teancum said, it has the largest capacity.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lapua for sure. Expensive, but a few minutes with micrometers and scales make it obvious

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Lapua doesn't make .270 win brass.

2 best are Norma and RWS

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
If it's that important to you, to have the "best" brass. Buy RWS 7X64, neck down and trim, once, then you have it!! For me Winchester Brass has been the go to for over 40 years. If that bona fides, isn't enough, go with the RWS.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Considering you do not have a match rifle and there are few if any .270 match bullets, premium brass is not going to do much for you.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:

Lapua used to make .270 Win brass, sadly they stopped making it a few years back Mad

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gee and all these years Roll Eyes I didn't know that there was anything else but necked down GI

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'm sorta playing second fiddle here, but I have used necked down GI '06 brass for many years for my heavy bullet .270 loads. For 130 grain bullets, I use Winchester brass and the proverbial 62 grs. of H-4831.

I will echo the sentiment that expensive premium brass is a waste of resources in a good .270 hunting rifle. Good rifles with properly cut chambers support any decent brass well for' and aft and the brass lasts well as a result of the proper chambers. I've loaded many of mine more than 10 times, with no loss of cases, so feel I have certainly gotten my money's worth.

Both my inexpensive brass choices shoot 3/4 MOA or smaller groups from my unaltered and not accurized factory .270 rifles (Mannlicher-Schoenauer and Winchester). That's way smaller than MOU (minute-of-ungulate).

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:

Lapua used to make .270 Win brass, sadly they stopped making it a few years back Mad

- mike

Yeah, I just wish they'd do a "Winchester" limited run of .270 & .300 Win again..............

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
I'm sorta playing second fiddle here, but I have used necked down GI '06 brass for many years for my heavy bullet .270 loads. For 130 grain bullets, I use Winchester brass and the proverbial 62 grs. of H-4831.

I will echo the sentiment that expensive premium brass is a waste of resources in a good .270 hunting rifle. Good rifles with properly cut chambers support any decent brass well for' and aft and the brass lasts well as a result of the proper chambers. I've loaded many of mine more than 10 times, with no loss of cases, so feel I have certainly gotten my money's worth.

Both my inexpensive brass choices shoot 3/4 MOA or smaller groups from my unaltered and not accurized factory .270 rifles (Mannlicher-Schoenauer and Winchester). That's way smaller than MOU (minute-of-ungulate).

I used that same formula in my .270.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only one rifle chambered in .270 WIn. I have found that it will shoot just about every major brand of brass into MOA or less usually depending on the loads.

I have used Winchester and Remington both for the upper end stuff with great results, but I usually don't push the envelope much anymore. Anything hitting in the 2800 - 2950fps range works just fine on everything I have put them to task on.

Mike / Tx