Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standard or Magnum Primers with RL22
 Login/Join

posted
I'm working up a load for .270 Winchester using 130 gr. Nosler Partitions and RL22. Some of my data indicates to use Mag primers while other data does not say or suggests standard primers. Which should I follow? I plan to start at 55 grains of RL22 and work up to 60. Any experiences with this load? I'm looking for a good whitetail deer load for a Savage 110. Thanks..

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
My favorite for quite a few years is:

270 Win
Reloader 22
Fed 210 Match Primer
60.0 grains
130 Nosler BT or Part
Fed Brass

I have shot caribou at 400 yards stone dead with this load.

[ 10-15-2003, 03:30: Message edited by: Alaska Bush Man ]

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
The Reloader series is generally pretty easy to ignite. You'll see some manuals calling for magnum primers, while others call for standard ones. I've always used standard primers (most often WLR's) with R22 and R19 in the 270 with no problems. If all you have are the magnums, by all means use them, but, use them the whole way through your workups - don't switch back and forth without reducing by 5% or so, and working back up.

BTW - there are quite a few experienced loaders who feel that R22 is THE 270 powder. Should work well for you.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Note #3 in the Alliant loading manual, and the Hercules manual before them, states never to use magnum primers with their the propellants unless they specify them. They only specify magnum primers for cartridges and loads requiring over 80g of propellant.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Winchester WLR Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I haven't used RL22 in a 270 Win, but I do use it in my 280AI with 64.0 and Fed.210s. I tried mags some years ago, but the regular LRs gave somewhat better accuracy. Now in the 270-08 AI with 50.2/H-4350, the 215s gave better acuracy. Go figure!
Bill

Posts: 16 | Location: Penna. | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

I use CCI-BR2 primers in all my rifles. Never had an ignition problem. I use Rel 22 in both a 7mm mag and a 300 win mag and down to 20 below zero and never had a problem with ignition.

Don

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "magnum" label on the box is for the purpose of adding a couple of bucks per carton to the price. All primers on the market are of appropriate force to ignite any small arms propellant. Some do show better accuracy than others, but it is less related to their "power" than to other factors particular to a given load.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The primers do have different burn characteristics, in that the the 215's and other magnum primers will ignite hotter fast and burn longer than the 210's, I believe that's what it is.

I've used 210's down to 10 deg F and never had a problem in the 300 Ultra Mag, I never have tried them in the 416 Wby though. BR-2's are suppose to be the mildest and pressure at the same MV is said to be lowered using them quite a bit, but I've not tested this with the BR-2's and 210's against the 215's yet to say if it's true.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used CCI for years with perfect satisfaction, but in the last 10 years have used federal 210 for 06 and under, 215s for anything larger than an 06 case...

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote