THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Measuring Max OAL - what is my problem?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
do a search for the "split case method",..that is by far the best method next to spending the $20 for the stoney point tool. I actually bought the sinclair tool and like it the best of anything. Buy the tool and don't look back.

You can also seat a bullet wayyyyyyy long,..then try to chamber it. If it doesn't chamber,..seat the next one only a few .001"s deeper and try again. (don't use the same bullet twice,..you want to be able to see when the rifling marks dissapear) Keep doing this until one chambers with very very little or no rifling marks. Lock the die and that is ~your max OAL for that rifle.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The longest you can load is what the magazine will accept
unless you want to shoot single shot. Most of the new
rifles have a very deep throat so dont worry about it.
If you are going into benchrest competition then have
a custom barrel chambered to your specs. I have chambers
where the bullets jump almost 1/8 of an inch and still
shoot under one moa.
Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of todays chambers are ridiculously long. The Stoney Point OAL Guage is rather inexpensive, and saves a lot of heartache. It'll take a while to get used to it so you'll have to take several readings until you get past the learning curve. Beware though that not every rifle will shoot best at its maximum OAL. est wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote