New
Find
Notify
Tools

Partition Gold?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any advantage of Nosler Partition Gold over the standard Nosler Partition?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gold is more controlled than regular partition. theres info about it on the nosler website I think.

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Quote:

gold is more controlled than regular partition. theres info about it on the hornady website I think.

You want to look at the Nosler/Combined technology site for in depth info on this bullet. The Ballistic Silver Tip and the Failsafe bullets are also made by CT.

Nosler/Combined Tech

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

gold is more controlled than regular partition. theres info about it on the hornady website I think.

You want to look at the Nosler/Combined technology site for in depth info on this bullet. The Ballistic Silver Tip and the Failsafe bullets are also made by CT.

Nosler/Combined Tech

I have looked at the charts and I can't see any advantage the Gold has over the standard partition. BC is the same also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you look at the charts again, you will see that the Partition Gold has a steel cup in the rear portion of the bullet. It is the same technology that is used in the Fail Safe bullet.

The Partition Gold also has a thicker partition than the regular Partition bullets.

These two features are designed to indeed make the Partition Gold a "tougher" bullet than the standard Partitions. How successfull they are in the market I am not sure. You do not seem to hear much about them, actually.

There is a good discussion of the differences in the bullets in the latest Nosler Reloading Guide (number 5). It was written by Layne Simpson and is interesting.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 300 seems to shoot the Gold Moly Free a little more accurately thank the standard Partition. It's designed to retain about 80% vs. the 65%.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The PG is a tougher bullet. I would use the molyfree in my 7mm Dakota for close range. They barely expand @ 100yd .280 vel. so I would not want to use them for a 300yd+ shot. The std. NP would be my choice there.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
The PG expands at 1800 fps!...Just retains more weight. Much tougher!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
I would consider switching to the PT Gold when you expect impact velocities in excess of 3,000 fps and you are talking big, mean critters.

I've only used the .30 cal 180 gr PT Gold at 3,000 fps in my .30 Gibbs. The one recovered bullet looks just like a standard partition for the most part.

Here an image of some sectioned bullets:

L to R: .30 cal 180 gr PT Gold; .338 cal 250 gr; .375 cal 300 gr.

I've never bought into the moly B.S., so I'd say so Moly-Free.

Disadvantages are that you can't use the same powder charge as the std PT or more conventional bullets. That was a great thing about the partition - you could use Speers, Hornadies or Sierra and have the same max charge for the most part.

I found them to be less accurate that the std partition, but mind you, that's only one caliber, one bullet weight and one cartridge design.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote