New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who shoots a .260?
 Login/Join

<wksinatl>
posted
I will receive my Custom AR-10 from G.A Precision tomorrow! Mine is chambered for the 260. It has a Mike Rock 1-8.2 twist and is 24" long.

Any help getting started loading for this rifle would be appreciated. I suspect a combination of Varget and 140 MK's might be a good start.
Thanks guys,
Keith

***************I EDITED THIS POST****************
To add that I am mainly interested in pure accuracy - shooting paper under 400yds with this rifle. I compete in Tactical Matches in the PRECISION BOLT ACTION class and want to use this rifle in the PRECISION SEMI-AUTO class.

Here are some of the components I have on hand.

BRASS
>Remington (new)
>
>BULLETS
>Sierra- 140 MK's, 142gr MK's and 120gr MK's
>Lapua- 139gr Scenars
>Hornady- 140gr AMAX
>Nosler- 120 BT's

>
>PRIMERS
>Federal- 210m's
>CCI- BR2's
>Win- WLR's
>
>POWDERS
>Varget
>IMR4350
>IMR 4064
>H4831
>N133
>N135
>N165

[ 09-30-2003, 01:15: Message edited by: wksinatl ]

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`m haveing a good time with the lighter wgt bullets in my Kimber M84 and M700DBL. I would start with the 120 MK or Nosler with H4831 useing the components you have on hand. I seem to get the best results with R19 and the 120 MK in mine. I don`t know what twist you have in your barrel, mine are 1-9". If you have a faster twist the 140/142s "may be" a better choice.
For deer I settled on the 129gr Hornady over R19 a couple years ago and haven`t found any reason to try anything else.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<wksinatl>
posted
Thanks Ol` Joe,
My barrel is has a 1-8.2" twist. This is a gas gun (AR platform)so I won't be able to play with the OAL. That's why I thought the 140MK profile would be better than the 142MK (even though I would e giving up some BC). I have heard others say the 120's shot real well in their 260's.

Thanks for your help!

Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
For accuracy in a heavy barrel bolt gun at 400 yds, I have had real good luck with a 120 grain match king, and 40 grains of Winchester 748 powder. Velocity out of a 26 inch barrel was right at 2850 or so.

I stumbled on this trying a batch of powders. This one, just turned in results head and shoulders above the others, Varget included.

However, this is in a bolt gun. ( Remington, VLS)
[Cool] [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have experience with only one .260, and it was disappointing. The rifle was a Browning Low Wall, falling block single shot. I tried many powder and bullet combinations in it, and could get only about 1 1/2" accuracy at 100 yards. I eventually gave up on it.

From what I've read, the .260 can be an extremely accurate rifle, But the one I worked with was not.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
WKS....,

Call John at Master Class Sports in Brookfield, CT. He shoots a AR-10 in 260 and today he told me he loads 142 MK's. He would have the other details.

They just got back from New Brunswick where they shot against their Maritime and set a new record for the course.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are only going out to 400 I would take a real hard look at the 107 matchkings or the 108 Scenars. Both have really high BC and could be driven plenty fast within magazine restrictions.

Posts: 192 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote