Find
Notify
Tools

Comparing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-AP/

It can do the size of 375 H&H + a smigg.

It's supposed to be quite excellent

How about the www.ch4d.com No. 444-

Four Station 'H' Press? It can handle

45/120 length per the call I made to them

today. How is the quality and the what's

whole run down on both of these, and, any

others that you think compare?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only press I have ever used or rifle ammo is an RCBS Rockchucker. The longest cartridge I have loaded on it is 338RUM and though it wasn't roomy it was adequate. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

It depends on what you are loading. I would NOT recommend a progressive press for loading most rifle rounds, especially those which will be used in a double. The exception would be some rifle rounds loaded using ball or flake powders, both of which meter very accurately. The stick powders that you will use for loading Nitro cartridges and most large centerfire rifle cartridges simply do not meter accurately enough to lend themselves to progressive loading. You need to weigh EVERY charge on a beam scale. I would recommend a Redding Big Boss, an RCBS Rockchucker, or a Lee Classic Cast. I load everything up to and including .470 NE on a Redding Boss, which isn't even the big one, and an old beat-up Lee Challenger that I received as a Christmas gift when I was a kid.

If you are thinking of loading a lot of handgun rounds you will be surprised how quickly you can load 50 or 100 shells by putting them in a loading block, charging from a powder measure then seating the bullets. I load magnum handgun ammo all the time and have never seen the need for a progressive.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think the combination of someone totally new to reloading, a progressive reloading press, and loading for double rifles is a recipe for disaster.

Just my $.02

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first ammo I ever loaded was on an early progressive. The powder measure was manual, and every time I pulled the handle there was a list of things I had to do. I loaded 50 rounds. It wasn't fast, and I was worn down by the time I had finished. I load the few handgun rounds I need these days on a single stage press, and it is a much simpler process doing things one at a time.

I can't recommend starting out on a progressive.