New
Find
Notify
Tools

RWS brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is this brass available in the U.S.? I have 6 boxes of 9.3x64 and would like to have an additional 5 more.....should last me for some time. I bought these a couple of yrs. back for starters and did not even think for a minute that the availability would be a problem with Huntingtons and Natchez selling them.

If this is going to be a future problem I may have to back peddle in the 1909 Arg and do the Ruger 9.3/375 Ruger reamer.....wonder if PacMets heat treating of the action would allow for such high press rounds?

Fella over at Huntingtons "has a friend that would sell brass" a.... "scalping" demand of $3.00 per brass.....ouch! Damn highway robbery!

Any ideas?

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to still buy the 9,3x64 RWS brass in Europe. It's expensive over there too and with the decline of the dollar vs the Euro $3 a case might not be scalping quite as much a you think..............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of RWS Brass has anyone seen any New or Used for sale as of late ?.

.222 .223 7mm Rem Mag .308 30/06 or .338 WM ??. I've been looking for some on various

suppliers sites sales flyers Etc. and it seems to be going the way of primers lately .

NONE available !. I spent the better part of 8 Hr driving about 220 miles today

looking for Large and Small Rifle primers and found ZERO !. One place had CCI and only a

couple of boxes of each . I found Federal match Pistol and Winchester Pistol both sizes .

I stopped in at no less than 12 stores of every description and got the same answer .

The manufactures or distributors been really slow on delivery and when ANY primers become

available we BUY whatever is available !. I'm now Extremely glad I purchase

full case lots of 40K when I did !!!.

Something is in the wind and I don't care for the smell !. Eeker

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Old Western Scrounger?

They had 7x64 Brenneke RWS brass a few years back.

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For RWS brass, in the USA, check Natchez, Huntington's and OWS. Natchez has apparently ceased dealing with RWS and is selling out. However, RWS/Fiocchi does have a US site. I do not know the quality or quantity of ammo or components available from them.
I've also gone the by European route by asking a friend traveling in Europe to pick up some components for me over there.
LLS

Posts: 188 | Location: Texas, via US Navy & Raytheon | Registered: 17 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Germany you can find your brass at[URL=http://www.johannsen-jagd.de]for € 1,35 a piece which is some $ 1,70 a piece plus shipping costs.

Posts: 98 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard a nasty rumor about two weeks ago that RWS was going to stop bringing their brass into the US. I know nothing more about the rumor however.
One thing I'd like to mention about RWS brass from my experience using it is, it has some serious problems.
First, I bought 100 7x57 cases from Natchez. The brass turned out to be about .010 too long, so I had to trim all the cases back before using them. Secondly, and more important that the first problem I had with it, was the necks of the cases were about .0195 thick. I had loaded up a bunch of the cases, and attempted to shoot them in a 7x57 without checking the neck thickness first. Well, the first shot had the case sitck in the chamber, and the extractor wouldn't extract the case. I had to drive the case out of the chamber at the range with a cleaning rod.
So, back to the shop I went and did some case measuring where I found the thick necks. I then had to outside neck turn all 100 cases to .014, and I haven't had a problem with cases getting stuck since.

The second issue involved 223 RWS brass. I bought 40 cases at one time, weighed them and they were very close in SD. So, liking them, I bought 40 more cases. They were of a different lot, so I weighed all of them, They were exactly 10 grains heavier than the first lot. The first lot weight nominally 91 grains, and the second lot weight 101 grains. All of my other 223 brass in Rem and Win weight 91 grains, nominally.
So, I keep the two different lots separated. However, when making loads with the heavy brass, I can't get all the powder in the case, it spills over the top of the mouth of the case. With regular weight brass, I have lots of room left over for seating bullets.

FWIW,

Don

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Interesting you should mention that about the neck thickness. I recently picked up a nice combination gun in 16/8x57JR and got a bunch of RWS 8x57JR brass for it because my experience with RWS has always been very good, and the headstamp is correct for the caliber. After firing the first mild trial load I was curious how large the chamber neck might be and tried slipping several different diameter bullets into the fired case. It was no surprise that a .323" bullet wouldn't fit, mildly surprising that a .320" wouldn't fit, and alarming that a .318" wouldn't, either!

Easy enough to fix by neck reaming, and perhaps just a peculiarity of this specific combo gun, but I'm sure glad I checked! Other than that, RWS brass has always been top notch for me.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I've yet to find anywhere states side that has them .

Seems to be an awful shortage of most reloading components as of late .

Somehow I don't believe it's just the down turn in the Economy that's responsible for it either !.

archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
Well I've yet to find anywhere states side that has them .

Seems to be an awful shortage of most reloading components as of late .

Somehow I don't believe it's just the down turn in the Economy that's responsible for it either !.

archer

The only place I can think of that might have RWS brass is Huntingtons.com, RCBS. It's listed in their catalog.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RWS is GONE ; As are many other components especially for .223 .308 or .50 cal .

The citizens of this Once Great Country have now been reduced too PIGGY BANKS for the new " CHANGES " !. archer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might check with Reed1911 over Graybeard's Forums specifically Reloading Components and supplies. He has some dwindling RWS stock and is working to get it into the US.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks SR47.., gave him a pm.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote