New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fast Case trimmer
 Login/Join

<GSXR7/11>
posted
I'd like a case trimmer that I could trim at least 100 cases per hour with.

Any recommendations? Should I get a powered one? (ie, other than me powering it of course...)

Thanks!
Steve

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
If you have money to burn, get a Gracey. If you don't, get the RCBS power trimmer and, if one is available for your caliber, get the three-way trimmer head, which trims, deburrs, and chamfers simultaneously. Even if a "ready" three-way trimmer head isn't available, you can piece one together with the separate parts they sell for said purpose. If you're not talking something radical, like trimming a quarter-inch (!) of neck from each case... "normal" trimming would allow you, with one of these three-way trimmers, to do at least three per minute, making your "production" 180 pieces per hour. Otherwise, if you have the RCBS trimmer and Case Prep station, you can be deburring and chamfering while trimming. I've done both and vastly prefer the three-way trimmer heads. For a "volume" shooter, the investment in a three-way trimmer head is worth the cost.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on how many calibers you intend to trim for. If you are only dealing with a couple, look at the Lee system. You use it with an electric drill. It has a lock which inserts into the drill and a length guage and trimmer that is inserted into the case. While the case is locked in the drill, after you trim, you go ahead and smooth the inside and outside of the cas mouth. The set up cost about $5-7 per caliber. I use it in preference to other systems in those calibers which I have Foster pilots. Ku-dude

<GSXR7/11>
posted
Hey guys, thanks for the info already [Smile]

I'm mainly looking at 3 calibers - .454 Casull, .300 Winchester, maybe .308 as well

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Ku-Dude is correct, regarding the Lee tools. I started with them. Hell, I started with Tasco scopes. Look, not all of us are rich when we start buying toys. I still have my Lee tools and they are good, useful implements. If you're someone of patience and/or not going to be a "volume" shooter (or, not in a big hurry, anyway), there's not a damn thing wrong with using the Lee tools. One bit of advice from the "been there, done that" archives... if you use a power drill (and I recommend that you do), get one of those cylindrical "screwdriver" types, not the "gun" type... because the latter isn't very conducive to productivity with regard to the ergonomics of the trimming situation.

Over the years, I acquired several "volume shooters" and I just simply do NOT have the patience to do the "Lee" routine with all of them. If your time and needs permit, certainly, go with the Lee tools.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the lee AND I have the rcbs with a rcbs trim mate sitting alongside. If I had to do more than 50 I "might" set up the rcbs but would probably use the lee. That lee is excellent considering the price. ONE LAST RECOMENDATION-- why trim if you don't have too?? Sinclair offers some special caliber specific inserts that let you measure the "real" oal that you can let your case grow to. Alot of gun's I own have any xtra .010-.015" room before they really need trimming. Some of my weatherby's never need trimming as they have an xtra .030". These inserts cost about $5 percaliber and have been very handy for me to use and have save alot of time trimming. Plus on the big power houses (like my 30-378) you can do ocassional measurements and see how fast your throat is eroding.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great advice, Kraky. Most chambers are oversized in most dimensions, including length to the end of the neck. If a given chamber is .03" longer than "maximum" SAAMI case length, you gain nothing by trimming back until your cases are at least .o3" over "maximum".

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote