Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 loads for Ruger #1
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Col K
posted
Anyone have any pet loads for 7x57 Mauser in a Ruger #1 light sporter? IMR4350 and 160 Speer Magtips have been my standard for years but I'm looking to "push the envelope" a little further. I really don't know why because this load has been a stellar performer.

Posts: 350 | Location: GA by way of PA, OH, KY, TX, VA, and NC | Registered: 10 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H414 with 160 Nosler partitions has been my load for years. You can get 2750-2800 fps in the 7x57. The Speer bullets will not take as much powder as the Nosler partition in my experience.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Col K:
Anyone have any pet loads for 7x57 Mauser in a Ruger #1 light sporter? IMR4350 and 160 Speer Magtips have been my standard for years but I'm looking to "push the envelope" a little further. I really don't know why because this load has been a stellar performer.

I have three. One is 53.5 grains of WW 760 (or H414) with a 140-grain Nosler Partition bullet in R-P cases with a Fed. 210 primer, MV just at 3000 FPS. Another is 54 grains of RE 22 or Norma MRP with the 175-grain Nosler Partition, R-P cases, F210 primer. Vel. of this load is 2720 FPS measured 10' from the muzzle. Both these loads work equally well in my No. 1A, M77, a Venezuelan M24 FN Mauser, and a Mann./Schoenauer carbine. From the 20" carbine barrel, I lose 50 FPS from those velocities quoted. Natuarally, these are hot loads, and MUST be approached from at least 5% below!! But they are ACCURATE hot loads!

Another VERY ACCURATE load I have that is much milder is 50 grains of IMR 4350 with the 150-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet for 2700 FPS. This is for deer only!

This is the 140-grain load.

This is the 150 (100 METERS)

And the 175-grain load....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not big on someone elses pet loads working best in another gun. However I go along with it and show mine too along with the targets.

Over and over again it's the gun first and not the load. So if your rifles screws are tight, bedding is perfect, crown is good etc. almost any load that burns the powder well will be accurate.

In general 4350 has been a 'best' powder for cartridges with that expansion ratio but you can use any reasonable powder and start there by checking one manual against the other. As you know the data is free on line now from the powder companies.

Also there are sites that have pet loads such as www.reloadersnest.com

As I infered I would spend most of my effort on the bedding (forend) on that #1.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote