New
Find
Notify
Tools

starting in again with reloading
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thanks to all for the info you provided on my questions about case pressure indicators. I found especially useful the reference to CHE.

For the record.....I am new here (under 25 posts), I am resuming the hobby after a 20 year hiatus.

In the late 70s and 80s I was an avid reloader. I put down my gun hobby for the 20 year period as I raised small children. They are now off and on their own....So I am picking up with this where I left5 off, as I now have more time.

I have boxes of original materials, including loading manuals....all the stuff except for the primers and powder I passed onto friends-- back them. I find that I am relearning and questioning all that I had first learned as I compare old reference materials to new ones that I acquire. An example is that max powder charges seem to be significantly lower. I am sure liability claims lead to this.

Precision and special use bullets are much easier to get and the number of materials vendors providing cases is well expanded (pun intended!). I also see great consolidation in the number of powder companies, though the brands are roughly the same. I also see very specialized new reloading equipment that looks like it provides with many new options for ensuring tight groups.

thanks for putting up with my questions. I do try my best to look through historical posts before asking......

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Welcome back, LOL

Interesting point about the max pressures.

I was on www.hodgdon.com getting some load data for my 22.250 and 60 grain bullets yesterday and noticed that the starting load of 34 grains of BL-C(2) is the same as the maximum load for a 55 grain bullet.

The Maximum load of 37 grains of BL-C(2) is higher for the 60 grain bullet than it is for 55 and 50 grain bullets also.

I called Hodgdon's answer line about this and was told that the testing for the 60 grain bullets was done much later after they shifted to the more accurate strain gage measuring process. The maximum charges for the older loads had to be more conservative using the copper crusher method because of the built in safety margin that they had to maintain then.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote