Find
Notify
Tools

Brass-munching machine!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted
After wandering around one of the local areas that are supposed to be elk-infested, I decided that I did *not* want to carry my 700VS in .308 Win around there. So I got an old 740 Woodsmaster in .30-06, and put a Weaver K-2.5 scope (post w/ crosshair) on it. Works fairly well. The gun has a tendency to really bung up the case mouths, to the point where I have to take the nose of a pair of needle-nose pliers and round them back out somewhat so the reloading die can handle them. I made the mistake of cleaning the barrel, and ended up having to 'repave' the copper in the throat area to get it to shoot reasonable groups again. I opted to use up some odds-n-ends powder and some 155gr J4 bullets. Hauled out the new Nosler manual, and it listed loads for both H335 and H414. I went w/ 2 full grains *under* the listed starting load for both powders, as I'd been getting some conflicting reports about whether or not to use hot or reduced loads in the gun. The 'good' loads w/ H4831SC had been max, so I went 'low' to see if it would go easier on the brass.

The case mouths didn't show any benefit, really w/ either powder. The real shocker came when I got home, and was going thru the brass, and noticed that probably at least 75% of the brass that had been loaded w/ H414 had the extractor rim visibly bent!!

Local postulation aka guessing is that the powder was too fast and the gun was trying to open the bolt while the brass was still gripping the chamber walls, hence damaging the extractor groove.

As a kind of 'control' I went and got some el-cheapo PMC 180gr soft-point loads. Shot 1-1.25" group (4-shots, one magazine), but still bunged up the case mouths.

Any suggestions on fixing the case mouth bashing problem (via handloads), or is it more of a gunsmithing thing?

TIA,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can see to try is to go to heavier brass (perhaps military). Short of gunsmithing, I'd just stoke it with factory fodder, and forget about the brass. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This happens with most semi auto's. I have experienced it in a Browning BAR 308 and a Rem model 4 in 3006. It is a function of rapid extraction and the case hitting the side of the receiver at the locking lug area. Just bend them out slightly and your die will do the rest. Use of a small base die will enhance feeding.

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote