Find
Notify
Tools

.375 H&H quest
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Has anyone ever been able to get 250 gr Swift A-Frames to shoot to the same point of impact as 300 grain monolithic solids?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Shooting to the same point is rifle dependent.

I have seen some rifles that will put practically anything you shoot in them within a couple of inches all day long!

Others seem to throw their shots all over the place once you change bullets.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Shooting to the same point is rifle dependent.

I have seen some rifles that will put practically anything you shoot in them within a couple of inches all day long!

Others seem to throw their shots all over the place once you change bullets.

The one in question will shoot them to within 2-3 inches at 100 easily.

Was trying for better.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Why bother?

Stick to one weight and shoot everything with it.

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Leopard and elephant hunt.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you planning on using the .375 for both?

I’ve had little trouble getting same weight bullets shooting to the same POI at 100 yards. Differing weights? That’s a bit more of an issue, but with my rifle it’s an inch or so between 270 grain and 300’s.

I usually bring one bigger bore for elephant- and if you are doing it right you are close.

So if the .375 is a back up for the elephant I’d sight for the leopard round, and assume 2-3” at 100 is insignificant at elephant range.

I’ve never had an issue with leopard dying from what are essentially buffalo bullets- both leopard I’ve shot with my .375 were with 300 gr TSX, and both collapsed to the shot.

If it was the primary rifle, I’d just use the heavier bullet for everything in the .375.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Leopard and elephant hunt.

I have shot many leopards, and elephants, using both Barnes 300 X and our own Walterhog bullets in 300 grains, paired with Barnes Super Solids in 300 grain.

Sight in your rifle with the non solid.

Shooting an elephant at what elephant shooting ranges are will not make any difference.

Never did with me.

Leopards shot varied from dying right on the branch and hanging on the bait for a bit before falling, to running along the branch like nothing has hit them.

Fly off the end, run a few yards and die.

I have seen exactly the same results with various smaller calibers too.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are getting two inch groups with two different bullets with a 375 and you want better?
I recommend you practice under field conditions and stop worrying about tighter groups. In the field, you will not notice any difference.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Lane,

I used to take different rifles, with an assortment of ammo to test.

I did all that, and finally settled on one rifle and one load.

I don’t even bother take any solids with me now.

Because if I had a chance at an elephant, I have absolutely no doubt that my normal HP bullets would be fine in a side brain shot.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Agreed on all the above.

I will take my .500 NE double and will likely shoot the ele with it.

I always like to go prepared. I have broken a rifle on a trip years ago.

Yes, I got the loads pretty close. Was just experimenting to see if I could get even better. Thought maybe the pros might have some rule-of-thumb for it I had not thought of.

Thank you all kindly.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well I got it done.

Swift 250 gr A-Frame going 2640 and CEB 300 gr brass FPS going 2550. All shoot to same POI with a combined group diameter of 1.5” at 100 yds.

I was wanting to load the A-Frames a little faster. I can get them to over 2700 pretty easy. Would y’all be OK with 250’s at 2640 fps for cats and antelope? Buff?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 250’s will work just fine at that speed for antelope and cats.

I prefer more mass for buffalo, and would probably shoot that with the solid. I’ve never tried that light of a bullet on buffalo. I think it would work well on reasonable hunting presentations, but not on back up shots.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never used any 250's on anything, but had excellent results on Namibian game with Barnes TSX 270 gn bullets at approx 2600 fps. Based on that I wouldn't hesitate to use a good 250 gn bullet on any African antelope. I imagine it would also perform on African cats although, as said, I can't back that up with personal experience.

For Buff I've used only 300 gn bullets, mainly Barnes TSX, with great results. I've read numerous accounts of hunters using Barnes 270 gn TSX successfully on Buff and the only PH I've hunted Buff with, Alan Shearing, thinks they would be at least adequate. Next time I hunt Buff I'll have a few 270 gn TSX in my belt to try along with the 300 gn TSX. I've shot some plains game with the 300 gn TSX for spectacular results.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2091 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have shot leopards with a variety of calibers and bullet weights.

Never noticed any difference at all.

Frankly, I would use anything from a 223 Remington and up.

Use a good bullet, put in the right place, end of story.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the gun. some will and some won't and its been my experience that trying different load to force it put all rounds in the same hole is a waste of time and effort.

I have a friend who wanted to show me he worked up two loads that shot together after much experimentation..After a few questiond he said "It shoots one load 4 inches right and 2 inches higher than the first load, but thats good enough for a big ole buffalo" I just said OK but shoot in space to put the bullet in a charging bulls eye..thats NOT suitable for me I want the the "same POI", or will make do with one load..Better yet hang in there until you get one of the"good" rifles.. I have no uses for other than the best accurate rifles, regardless of price or condition, make or model suits me as long as its accurate and puts bullets of different weight to the same POI..the either will or they wont and a few 3 shop groups overlaid will tell you all you need to know.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think any decent deer bullet will kill a Leopard unless you piss him off with a poor shoot, then the picture changes dramatically. pissers

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote