Notify
Tools

Norma bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted
A question about Norma bullets:

The factory ammo I have 8x57 196gr is loaded with �Alaska� bullets. I experienced some case separation with this ammo on game.

Is the bullet marketed as the �Oryx� different from the Alaska. Does anyone have much experience of the Oryx in general and the 8mm 196 grain Oryx in particular?

Thanks

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The Norma Alaska bullet is a conventional soft point. When you refer to "case separation", I take it you mean bullet jacket separation for cartridge case separation would suggest a headspace problem with your rifle ? The Oryx has a chemical/heat bonded core that makes the bullet very consistent and I've never saw an Oryx separating. Weight retention of the Oryx is impressive.

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andr� Mertens:
When you refer to "case separation", I take it you mean bullet jacket

Quite correct Andre. Mind working faster than fingers.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<PCH>
posted
Oryx is highly regarded here in Sweden for the facts the Andr� pointed out (and it's cheap too!!) However it's flat point might cause feeding troubles in some rifles(like my Sako). This will Norma supposedly fix by making the bullet more pointed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Deerdogs.
The separation of the "Alaska"-bullet is a well known problem. Still someones just have to have them.
A buddy of mine used them on a norwegian moose, some years ago. He shoots the 9,3x62. It was a nasty mess. You could almost put your head trough the hole!!
But when we speak about the "Oryx"-bullet, it is an oposit story. It is as Andr� said, a bounded bullet. My buddies and I have used Oryx for years now, and are very satifyed. We always come up with weight retentions over 93%. I belive it's the best bullet i've seen used on "food".

------------------
Shoot well, and hit hard.

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Deerdogs:
Is the bullet marketed as the �Oryx� different from the Alaska.

Yup, as day and night. I hold the Oryx to be among the very best bullets out there, and I loathe the Alaska - it works very good as long as you don't hit bone, but if you do...well, you found that out on your own.

-- Mats