Find
Notify
Tools

401 WSL
 Login/Join

<Ola>
posted
Hello!
Is there anyone who can give me any ballistic data on the 401 Winchester Self Loader carteridge?
I am interested in bullet weight and velocity. Is there any jacketed bullets on the market for this obsolete carteridge(.406 diametre)? Any who produses cases for the 401 WSL?

Ola

[ 01-15-2003, 16:30: Message edited by: Ola ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ola,
Barnes will make a .406 diametre SP RN bullet with 250grs. [Smile]

Posts: 33 | Location: munich, germany | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI- Old Western Scrounger has loaded ammo at $40.18 per 20. Page 14 of the ammo catalog.
http://www.ows-ammunition.com/cgi-bin/catalog25/scan/MM=2b72f1e35be5c0d73bd9f3fbd52f5719:260:279:20:?hbMtbcXj;;2001

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Ola>
posted
Thank you very much quattro77 and Davec. Do any of you, or somebody else have any ballistic data of the carteridge?

Ola

one of us
posted Hide Post
From the "Gun Guide" circa 1955.

401 Win. Self Loading, 200 gr SP, MV 2140, 100 yd 1750, 200 yd 1420, 300 yd 1170. Bullet path with 100 yd zero 50 yds +1.2", 200 yds -9.5", 300 yds -41"

"401 Winchester. Previously removed from the active production list, this short range, big bore cartridge is again available. Similar in power to the .35 Remington and best suited for woods hunting where ranges do not exceed 150 yards. Under these conditions the 401 has ample shocking power for deer and black bear, and in the hands of a careful marksman will account for moose. The big caliber bullet usually leaves a plain blood trail that makes it easier to follow wounded animals."

This sounds like Ken Waters does it not? He likes them all. The problem with the 401 is the design of the rifle that relies on a heavy weight attached to the breech block to control it's operation. There is no lock up to speak of but just straight blow back. The design of the 401 is the result of this situation. The rifles are very heavy due to this.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cartridges of the World #8 list 2 Winchester factory loads, 200 gr SP at 2135 fps & a 250 gr SP at 1870 fps.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.401 WSL Factory load 200gr.SP bullet .406 dia. 2135fps,M.E. 2020,Factory load 250 gr. S.P.,
bullet,1870fps.M.E.1940.

As far as I know no one is making brass for the .401 WSL unless it would be Bertram,which you can find on the web.It can be made trom .35 Rem. or .303 British but it requires a lathe.

Bullets could be cast or swaged.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has info on this cartridge.

<Ola>
posted
Again, thank you to all who has responded to the topic. I now have a very good idea about the carteridge�s performance, and its disapearence [Smile] .

I have been searching on the web about the calibre and the gun, but there is no information at all, as I have found. Found it a bit strange, and have been wondering why. I can imagine why the carteridge got out of production, and the gun almost have been forgoten. It had to do something with the gun or carteridge, and the fact that it is based on a blow-back construction may very well be one explanation.

Thanks again,
Ola

<Lars G>
posted
God dag Ola. Greetings from Alaska. I hope you are having a nice winter in Norway. We are having a very warm winter in Alaska. No snow, no skiing, no ice-skating, no nothing. I wish I had load data for your 401 Win SL, but I have not found anything yet.

I do have a suggestion on the bullets. You can buy a bullet sizing die from Z-Hat here in the U.S. for $65 U.S.D. that works in a standard reloading press. You can buy a "sizing ring" in 0.406" diameter for $12.50 USD. This way you can use 41 caliber (0.410") pistol bullets, 0.411" caliber rifle bullets and, maybe even 0.416" bullets (Z-Hat says you can swage down 0.009" max in these dies) to form bullets for your rifle. This may be a option you want to consider.

Please send some snow my way. Tak!

Bullet Sizing Die

<Ola>
posted
Hello Lars G!
We perhapes ave got your snow! Got a layer of about 13 inches since yesterday evening-still snowing. Have got a normal winter this seson. The snow came in october, when we still where hunting moose. Now we have something between 40 an 55 inches in my place. Temperatures have also been quite low this winter. -39 degrees C at its coldest in my part of Norway. The latest years we have had very mild winters, but lot of snow at my place. If I had better relations to the boss himself I would send yoy all the snow You want this minute!

I was wondering about the posibility of sizing bullets of a calibre near by what i need, but never saw a tool for this. I will check with my dealer if he can get those tools!

By the way. You have got a scandinavian name, but how did you learn Norwegian?

Thank you for your information [Smile] !

[ 01-20-2003, 19:30: Message edited by: Ola ]