THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is There A Program That Shows The Bullet Path?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
All the trajectory calculators I have seen show bullet drop.

Is there a program that shows the height of the bullet above line of site in inches?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This probably won't help but, my antique PACT chronograph has a built in trajectory program that calculates bullet path. Also, most reloading manuals have trajectory tables that show bullet paths for various bullet BC, velocity and zero range.

Posts: 176 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
All the ones I have seen show bullet drop.

I was asked to find a program that actshows the bullet path, above and below line of site at different ranges.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The JBM Balisstics trajectory calculator (see link) has bullet path results. It labels it as drop, but looking at the results it is actully bullet path relative to line of sight with values of -1.5 inch at the muzzle and positive values for ranges less that the zero range.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/b...rs/calculators.shtml

Posts: 176 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the JBM calculator. Plus you can set the interval so you can see the bullet path down to a very specific interval all the way down to 1 yard.

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I was asked to find a program that actshows the bullet path, above and below line of site at different ranges.

Time to get a good range finder. They actually give you a read out of the amount to hold under or over for the ranged target. My Bushnell Engage 1700 contains selectable algorithms for specific factory ammunition and for specific bullets with chronographed muzzle velocities e.g. for handloads from which the trajectory is derived and provided.
The read out is compensated for the angle of shot too.

Saeed you often say when discussing trajectories that a hunter still has to have the experience to estimate range. Even with experience range can be hard to estimate correctly especially in broken country with ridges and gullies. Obviously the relatively flat open country you hunt in Africa makes it easier for range estimation but it a vastly different story in a lot of the hilly and mountainous country I hunt in. Angle of shot plays a much bigger role in this type and range estimation so much more difficult across gullies from ridge to ridge.
I like my small and light Bushnell 6x24 range finder with very clear and bright optics giving the ability to see animals clearly and with accurate read out of range and hold under/over. I don't have a dial up scope as yet so still have to actually hold under or over but much easier to do when the range finder tells you how much.

Posts: 3859 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must be mis-understanding the question because it is possible to determine what I think you are asking with every ballistic program or app I have ever used?

Set the zero range to the range you are shooting at, and see what the highest point in the flight path is.

Posts: 468 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Foxhunter223
posted Hide Post
I use Point Blank, shows entire trajectory.

https://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=PointBlank

Pete

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern NSW Australia | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:

Time to get a good range finder. They actually give you a read out of the amount to hold under or over for the ranged target. My Bushnell Engage 1700 contains selectable algorithms for specific factory ammunition and for specific bullets with chronographed muzzle velocities e.g. for handloads from which the trajectory is derived and provided.
The read out is compensated for the angle of shot too.

Saeed you often say when discussing trajectories that a hunter still has to have the experience to estimate range. Even with experience range can be hard to estimate correctly especially in broken country with ridges and gullies. Obviously the relatively flat open country you hunt in Africa makes it easier for range estimation but it a vastly different story in a lot of the hilly and mountainous country I hunt in. Angle of shot plays a much bigger role in this type and range estimation so much more difficult across gullies from ridge to ridge.
I like my small and light Bushnell 6x24 range finder with very clear and bright optics giving the ability to see animals clearly and with accurate read out of range and hold under/over. I don't have a dial up scope as yet so still have to actually hold under or over but much easier to do when the range finder tells you how much.

That is true.

I never use a range finder while hunting.

In fact, I even carry binoculars!

But in this case I was asked what the midrange trajectory of a bullet.

And I have no idea, in accurate numbers.

I thought there must be a program that works it out.

One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
QuickTarget that comes with Quickload has that option . You can see it in both a tabular format or graph.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
https://bulletin.accurateshoot...ballistics-software/

This software was made by AR member. Sorry, I forgot the name.

Still working well today (Only G1)

Jiri

Posts: 2078 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Cannot access the link above??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wrote my own years ago. It is not too difficult if you like playing with the computer. I dump the data to the screen in tabular form and write it to a .csv file that can be imported into Excel for plotting etc. When you do your own you can customize it to give you whatever you want.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I was looking for that same thing. I think I can use JBM with a sight height=0 and zero range=1

zero range of 0 is not allowed

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cannot access the link above??

I don't know why. I have no problem to access the link.

Try this one: https://huntingnut.com/index.php?name=PointBlank

I tested it now. Working well.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
iPhone Application by:
Ringneck Software, LLC
https://ringnecksoft.wixsite.com/home

Ballistics Libraries provided by:
GNU Exterior Ballistics Computer
http://balcomp.sourceforge.net/

The information provided by this application for informational purposes only. It should never be used as a substitute for range time.

Get out and shoot!

Version 4.1.1 (99)

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I was rather busy the last weeks and I hadn't the time to access AR.
Here are a few notes I wrote time ago on the trajectory subject.

Provided that you know:
- The drop at various distances
- The height of the line of sight

The trajectory can be calculated as:

Y = X/X0* (D0 + HS) – (D + HS) [Magic Formula]

Where:
Y = trajectory at distance X, referred to the line of sight
D = drop at distance X
X = distance
HS = height of the line of sight above the barrel
D0 = drop at zeroing distance
X0 = zeroing distance

You can use meters or yards for horizontal measurements and millimeters or centimeters or inches for vertical measurements. It works always, provided that all measurements oriented in same way (vertical or horizontal) are consistent among them.

Example
Let us suppose that a bullet, with BC of .340 and MV of 975 m/s has the following drop

• At muzzle: 0 mm (no drop at muzzle)
• At 100 m: 55 mm
• At 200 m: 239 mm
• At 300 m: 300 mm

Moreover, we suppose that the scope axis is 50 mm above the barrel axis.
Finally, let us zero the scope at 100 meters
The Magic Formula referred to X=0 reads

Y0= 0/100 * (55+50) – (0+50) = 0 – 50 = -50 mm

At the muzzle, the bullet flies 50 mm below the line of sight.
It is not a great new: the muzzle is 50 mm lower that the line of sight.

What happens at 100 meters?

Y100 = 100/100*(55+50) – (55+50) = 0 mm

We are not surprised: if the zeroing range is 100 m, the bullet hits exactly the point of aim.

At 200 meters, having zeroed the scope at 100 m, the trajectory is:

Y200= 200/100* (55+50) – (239+50) = 2*105 -289 =210 -289 = -79 mm

At 300 meters, without changing the zeroing, the trajectory is:

Y300 = 300/100*(55+50) – (578+50) = 3*105 -628 = 315 – 628 = -313 mm

If you like to check your skill in maths try to repeat the above with zeroing distances of 200 and 300 meters.

The results sould correspond to the table below.

EXAMPLE BULLET WITH BC .340 AND MV 975 m/s
RANGE [m] 0 100 200 300
Drop [mm] 0 55 239 578
Y [mm]
X0 =100 m -50 0,0 -79,0 -313,0
Y [mm]
X0 =200 m -50 39,5 0,0 -194,5
Y [mm]
X0 =300 m -50 104,3 129,7 0,0

The calculation isn't difficult, but if you want to do it for short intervals and long ranges it is very easy to use the wrong data.
The Quickload programme, besides being precious to check the soundness of the loading data, includes a very good (and easy to use) external ballistic programme