New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too fast???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am a new reloader (about a year into it). Thus far I load for a .204 Ruger, .22-250 Rem, and a .30-06 Springfield. I initially inherited a great deal of equipment from my father-in-law. Over the course of the past year I have been adding more to my bench as the wallet permits. My most recent addition has been a F1 Shooting Chrony.

The chrony revealed something that is of great concern to me regarding the .22-250. The Speer manual lists 36gr of IMR 3031 as the max load. Six months ago when I worked up the load, I started at 33gr and did a pressure check up to 36.6gr, increasing by 0.3gr each time. No signs of pressure were witnessed. I then loaded three rounds at 34gr, 35gr, 36gr, and 36.3gr. Both the 36gr and 36.3 grain loads shot amaizingly well. I loaded up twenty of the 36.3gr and shot some groups. 100yrd groups averaged 0.4" and 200yrd groups have all been slightly less than an inch. The bullet is a 52gr Speer Match HPBT. The rifle is a Tikka T3 Varminter with about 150 rounds through it.

So here's the problem. Yesterday, while letting my '06 cool, I shot three rounds through the .22-250 over the chrony. Only three rounds bc the readout concerns me. The speeds were as follows, 1'st round = 3957 fps, 2'nd round = 4019 fps, 3'rd round = 3982 fps. I have to believe these are accurate bc my '06 was getting 2830 fps, right where it is supposed to be for the load.

Again, no "signs" of pressure and the load is very accurate, but these high speeds lead me to believe that my chamber pressure must be getting quite high. I don't shoot this rifle a lot, mostly coyotes and fox on brush piles further than my .204 will reach. On one hand, I like the accuracy of the load and how flat it is. On the other hand, I don't want to shoot out my barrel in 500 rounds and more importantly, I don't want to get into unsafe pressures. These speeds are well in excess of any I can find listed in my manuals (even for a .22-250 AI).

Do these speeds trump the lack of other pressure signs?

Any thoughts or opinions from those of you (which is most) who have been at this longer than I are appreciated.

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NimrodRx:
I am a new reloader (about a year into it). Thus far I load for a .204 Ruger, .22-250 Rem, and a .30-06 Springfield. I initially inherited a great deal of equipment from my father-in-law. Over the course of the past year I have been adding more to my bench as the wallet permits. My most recent addition has been a F1 Shooting Chrony.

The chrony revealed something that is of great concern to me regarding the .22-250. The Speer manual lists 36gr of IMR 3031 as the max load. Six months ago when I worked up the load, I started at 33gr and did a pressure check up to 36.6gr, increasing by 0.3gr each time. No signs of pressure were witnessed. I then loaded three rounds at 34gr, 35gr, 36gr, and 36.3gr. Both the 36gr and 36.3 grain loads shot amaizingly well. I loaded up twenty of the 36.3gr and shot some groups. 100yrd groups averaged 0.4" and 200yrd groups have all been slightly less than an inch. The bullet is a 52gr Speer Match HPBT. The rifle is a Tikka T3 Varminter with about 150 rounds through it.

So here's the problem. Yesterday, while letting my '06 cool, I shot three rounds through the .22-250 over the chrony. Only three rounds bc the readout concerns me. The speeds were as follows, 1'st round = 3957 fps, 2'nd round = 4019 fps, 3'rd round = 3982 fps. I have to believe these are accurate bc my '06 was getting 2830 fps, right where it is supposed to be for the load.

Again, no "signs" of pressure and the load is very accurate, but these high speeds lead me to believe that my chamber pressure must be getting quite high. I don't shoot this rifle a lot, mostly coyotes and fox on brush piles further than my .204 will reach. On one hand, I like the accuracy of the load and how flat it is. On the other hand, I don't want to shoot out my barrel in 500 rounds and more importantly, I don't want to get into unsafe pressures. These speeds are well in excess of any I can find listed in my manuals (even for a .22-250 AI).

Do these speeds trump the lack of other pressure signs?

Any thoughts or opinions from those of you (which is most) who have been at this longer than I are appreciated.

In his book, "GAME LOADS AND PRACTICAL BALLISTICS FOR THE AMERICAN HUNTER", Bob Hagel said words to the effect that "What may be a maximum load in one rifle may be quite mild in another, and vice versa."

This is true. BUT, a maximum load in a loading manual - ("never exceed a published maximum load". Yes. OK. But WHICH maximum load do we "never exceed"???? All my different books have a different opinionn on what a max load is) - is realy a maximum load ONLY FOR THE GUN IN WHICH THE MANUAL'S AUTHOR DEVELOPED IT!!

This load could be way over max in your rifle. So you always start low, and work up carefully if the starting load is: A. Not accurate enough; and/or, B. Not powerful enough.

However, this "max load" may just as easily be way under the maximum YOUR rifle can handle. Now, this does NOT mean that you need to go seeking whatever that absolute max. load might be, but it does mean that you may have more leeway than the loading books would lead you to believe.

What is the best indicator of where you should stop? CASE LIFE!! I like to get between eight t ten reloads out of a batch of cases before they become unserviceable. And as long as the primer pockets in your cases remain tight, your pressures are acceptable. If you detect NO LOOSENING of the primer pockets in those loads that are "too fast", they are NOT too fast. BUT, if you feel the primers starting to seat too easily after firing those rounds, cut your load back about 5%!!

If your fast loads are not ruining your brass, and you are getting that kind of accuracy, you are better off than most of us!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Since El Deguello has given you the learned opinion I will only add: Don't sell this rifle! The results you get are what many dream of, and the exception rather than the rule. I would caution however when firing in hot climate or if changing components in any way. Good luck and good shooting.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Just to add to everyone else's comments.

Take those same three cases and reload them again. Repeat this until you feel the primer pockets start to feel loose or see any other signs of pressure that concern you.

Count the number of reloads, if it's less than acceptable for you then you need to load down a little until you reach acceptable case life.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take heart in the fact that you have done the right thing by working up your loads from below max. Follow Fjold's advice, and if all is well, Welcome to Nirvana!

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have pushed some loads over 4000f/s using 52gr and 55gr bullets
I was as high as 42gr with H380 (old lot)
And 38grs of imr 3031.
Brass case life was 2 or 3 firings, most with split necks
The primer pockets were not all that loose.
Case expansion at the web was about .0015"
nosler bullets as well as sierrs held togeather.
The remington bullets would fragment as did some of the speer bullets.
i loaded down from this to around 3700 to 3800 f/s and accuracy was as good or better brass life was still short at about 3 to 4 firings. so after ever 3 firing i anneil the case necks.
I loose a case once in a while
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote