Find
Notify
Tools

R-P who is it
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted
can somebody please tell me who the manufacturer is, and how good it is, I have some 300 Win mag ammo with the r-p Stamp, it is loaded with a Monilithic solid

Thanks

Flip

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Remmington

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Thanks

So that means it must be a reload

Flip

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it obvious what the "P" in R-P stands for??
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Remington owns the Peters name, an old cartridge company Remington bought out in the 1930/40s(?). They produce ammo under the Remington-peters logo and stamp the cases RP.

Flip the ammo is likely factory. Remington uses the A-Frame bullet in it`s Premier line
http://www.remington.com/ammo/centerfire/premier_aframe.htm

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe, I manage to learn something new from this site every day! thumb
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
posted Hide Post
. . . just as WW stands for "Winchester-Western", Western being the old Western Tool and Die Company, bought by Winchester many, many years ago. For many years, both Remington and Winchester maintained separate lines of ammunition with the Peters and Western labels. Remington sometimes used the Peters label as its "promo" brand, but usually Peters ammunition was identical to Remington. Remington also bought the old Union Metallic Cartridge company (UMC), thus the headstamp you'll find on older brass of "Rem-UMC". The only recent use of the UMC name that I'm aware of is some promo para-military cartridges produced by Remington.

As far as I know, all Remington brass is now headstamped "R-P". The last time I was aware, some Winchester brass was headstamped "WW", and some was headstamped "Winchester", but none was still being stamped "Western". I think Remington is currently using the Peters brand on some shotshells.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

There is still UMC headstamp floating around but I think its all handgun stuff. Haven't seen any rifle brass.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

Good review...fyi, I just put in 3000 rounds of pulldown 7.62, marked "WRA" with the year.

One can have a interesting time collecting all of these variants.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I have a number of brass from Ellsie's Brass works. She even is nice enough to let you know how old she is, such as L C 57. Big Grin
What a gal!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iamgene:
Stonecreek,

Good review...fyi, I just put in 3000 rounds of pulldown 7.62, marked "WRA" with the year.

One can have a interesting time collecting all of these variants.

WRA- Winchester Repeating Arms. I've only seen this headstamp on military brass made by Winchester. Don't know why WRA was adopted as their military headstamp, nor why "Western" was dropped as one of their sporting arms headstamps.

I had some .45 ACP's a few years ago with the Western headstamp. They were stamped, circularly, ".45 Auto Western", which looked alot like "Western Auto .45". I had one guy claim that they were a proprietary product of Western Auto stores. They were not, of course, but Western Auto did sell proprietary guns and ammo under the "Revelation" brand. I've seen shotshells headstamped "Revelation", but never ran across any metallic cartridges so stamped.

I'm sure there are some collector-types who are really into headstamps and would have a lot more information than I do.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schromf:
Stonecreek,

There is still UMC headstamp floating around but I think its all handgun stuff. Haven't seen any rifle brass.

I know that they marketed (and may still be marketing) some .223 branded UMC, but I don't know how it may have been headstamped.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The most interesting headstamp IMHO is/was the "H" on Winchester .22rf. Shame it seems to be going out now.
JL

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some old 22 Savage Hi-Power brass that is marked WRA om it.
Must be from the 20's-40's

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I know that they marketed (and may still be marketing) some .223 branded UMC, but I don't know how it may have been headstamped.

The UMC marketed ammo we get here in Switzerland is headstamped R-P. Fairly decent stuff for the price we pay. I have only come across FMJ offerings, though - so it is mostly used to punch paper.
- mike

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flip:
can somebody please tell me who the manufacturer is, and how good it is, I have some 300 Win mag ammo with the r-p Stamp, it is loaded with a Monilithic solid

Thanks

Flip

R- P = Remington - Peters

Peters being an old ammo company bought by Remington (DuPont) ages ago, and the two were combined. For many years, there was a line of ammo still marketed bearing the Peters label/headstamp. Then the headstamps were combined into just plain R - P.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
The most interesting headstamp IMHO is/was the "H" on Winchester .22rf. Shame it seems to be going out now.
JL

Winchester stamped their rimfires with an "H" for many, many years, the "H" standing for "Henry". The Henry rifle originally used rimfire cartridges, the .44 Henry perhaps being the most prominent. The Henry patent was bought by Winchester and was the precurser of all of the Winchester lever actions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . just as WW stands for "Winchester-Western", Western being the old Western Tool and Die Company, bought by Winchester many, many years ago.

Stonecreek - close but no cigar. It was the Western Cartridge Co. who bought Winchester, not the other way around. Western Tool and Die was another company completely. They made tools, dies, and bullets for reloaders.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By golly, I believe you're right, Cheechako! When you go back that far, I have some cobwebs collected on the old neurons that need cleaning off.

But that also brings to mind another headstamp, "WCC".

Seems like Western Tool & Die did manufacture bullets, is this right? Or was that another outfit called something like Western Copper?

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
quote:
. . . just as WW stands for "Winchester-Western", Western being the old Western Tool and Die Company, bought by Winchester many, many years ago.

Stonecreek - close but no cigar. It was the Western Cartridge Co. who bought Winchester, not the other way around. Western Tool and Die was another company completely. They made tools, dies, and bullets for reloaders.

Ray

Cheechako,

Western Tool & Copper Co. was the old company that made bullets for the reloader and the one those like Elmer Keith spoke of.

I believe this is who Stonecreek refers to but I am not sure if they are one or two different companies of the past.

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BigRx and Stonecreek

Boy, I think we're all getting chronologically challenged.

Yes, it was Western Tool and Copper Works.

WCC stands for Western Cartridge Company, doesn't it? I think they still use that headstamp for GI ammunition made by W-W.

I have to go sit down in the shade.

Ray nut

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the info, nice to have people like you on this forum

Flip