New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Never run into this before and I certainly don't have the experience of many here. Working up loads for a 6.5x55 and had two of the first 4 rounds key hole...the other two were well of the previous POI. No signs of pressure, started with a clean bore. The load was 47grains of 4831 topped with a Berger 130 VLD. What did I do wrong?

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Have you shot the rifle before? How did it shoot & what bullets etc?

What is the rifle? Is it a military old barrel or a modern sporter?

What is the barrel twist?

Your load looks a bit mild for 130 gr & 4831 (H or IMR?)

A few silly question to confirm basics.

Are you sure you are using the right bullets and no other caliber is mixed up?

Are the bullets from the same lot?

Check the bullets carefully see if there any dents along the sides and base (the box may have been dropped and thrown around in shipping). I has a similar experience with a lot of Rem 100 gr PSPCL in 243. I think I was getting 4 inch groups when the rifle did easy 1 inch on most loads.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In worn milsurp barrels flat base bullets work best because when fired the flat base bullets base will expand to bore diameter. Meaning the bullet grips the rifling and is stabilized.

Also with milsurp rifles with a worn muzzle a boat tail bullet can be destabilized. This is due to unequal gas pressure on the base of the boat tail.

On a standard factory rifle it could be bullet weight/length and rate of twist and the bullet not being stabilized properly.

I had a 1943 Springfield 03-A3 with a very worn and over sized bore. I got the best accuracy by using Hornady 170 grain 30-30 bullets. This was because these 30-30 bullets had thinner jackets and a softer lead core and expanded to bore diameter. And boat tail bullets fired from this rifle shot shotgun type patterns.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I remember a guy taking a Ljungman 6.5x55 self-loader deer hunting 40 years ago. Though the barrel probably had a fast twist (1:8.7"?) and his bullets were probably 140gr or less, I recall them keyholing at 100 yards on a target.

Posts: 5091 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
What twist rate is your barrel? The Berger 130 vld needs an 8" twist or faster. Too many 6.5mm barrels have 9" twists.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What twist rate is your barrel? The Berger 130 vld needs an 8" twist or faster. Too many 6.5mm barrels have 9" twists.

Could this be the problem? The gun is a Sauer 202. Pretty sure the twist on the barrel is 8.7".
But I'll check it. I did buy the barrel back a while...first time I have shot it.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old I've also had problems stabilizing VLD bullets. Frowner roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
What is the purpose of the rifle? Is it primary a hunting rifle, for target shooting or just a toy gun for fun (no justification needed Wink )

You might want to try other bullets like the Accubond and Hornady SST to see if you can get good results.

There are so many different bullet options in 6.5mm

quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
quote:

Could this be the problem? The gun is a Sauer 202. Pretty sure the twist on the barrel is 8.7".
But I'll check it. I did buy the barrel back a while...first time I have shot it.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I assume you query has been answered by the other members however I will make a statement just because.If you are 'keyholing' rounds you have a bore problem + that can be remedided by a new bbl.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try flat based bullets. Nothing exotic, core lokts, speer, hornady. There is not enough "bullet body" contacting to lands.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
All that being said,several years ago I bought a vintage (read junk) Martini Henry in 303. After strapping it down to the bench for the 1st shot I was confident that it was at least safe to fire. That bbl. was washed.It shot every round in a keyhole......but damnit in a nice tight group.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote