Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-284 Norma
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
I've ordered one of the new Savage 12 F class Target rifles in 6.5 - 284 Norma. Brass and boolits from Midway and no one makes dies???

Any information about this is appreciated. The gun is on the cover of Shooting times and the round has about 5 pages of loads and information about it.
How close to the 6.5-284 Winchester is it?

Buhler? Buhler?

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Forster made my 6.5x284 dies, I believe I bought them through Midway.
You can find drawings of both here.
http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "6.5/284 Norma" is simply the factory version of the 6.5/284 Winchester wildcat. The dimensional specs are identical. Brass can be purchased from Norma with the proper size neck and headstamp in place, or brass can be resized from .284 Winchester brass.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
I've ordered one of the new Savage 12 F class Target rifles in 6.5 - 284 Norma. Brass and boolits from Midway and no one makes dies???

Any information about this is appreciated. The gun is on the cover of Shooting times and the round has about 5 pages of loads and information about it.
How close to the 6.5-284 Winchester is it?

Buhler? Buhler?

Basically interchangable, the difference in the base to neck lengh is .001". The Win case neck diameter is 0.297" (.002" larger than the Norma) I would bet that your Savage will be at least .300"

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Many Thanks!

thumb

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Try the Lapua brass, cheaper than Norma and just as good. Sinclair International carries it.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Masterifleman:
Try the Lapua brass, cheaper than Norma and just as good. Sinclair International carries it.

And dies too!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote