Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading grenade launching blanks...39mm
 Login/Join

posted
I am into practice rifle grenade launching and had used some commercially availble 7.62x39mm GLB's to launch with. They did well launching an Israeli MK12 and 14 about 120-130 yards at a launch angle of around 30 degrees. They did cost about $1.60 each though when purchased in the (20) count lot by the time HazMat and shipping charges were added in. CH4D sells the blank crimp die and I got one. Experimentation with reduced rifle powder loads was a failure so I checked to see what was in the commercial variety. Appeared to be 15 grains of Unique. I have used Unique in reduced rifle loads and it worked well in that fashion. So I started low and worked up to 14 grains of Unique which gave me about 100 yards with the MK12 RG. I have since loaded (10) rounds with 15 grains and will test those tomorrow. Recoil from the 14 grains was very similar to the commercial rounds and ignition was instant whereas with the rifle powder I had some hang fires. Not pleasant, I hate hang fires. But the Unique seems to work just fine in this application. Here's som elinks to check out. One is a 14 grain launch and the other is a pix of the 15 grain loads to be tested tomorrow.

14 grain launch

15 grain loads

Posts: 11 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the interesting info - about how much do those grenades weigh?

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
About 1 to 1 1/2 #'s.

posted Hide Post
I took the M59/66 out Saturday and fired (7) of the 15 grain loads in a row. 15 grains got me the 125 yards I was looking for with the MK12's.

I put together a web page showing the rounds and explaining how I had loaded them. Got some video on there and an animation showing the rifle grenade coming off the rifle.

All loads shot well, instant ignition and very manageable recoil. These have worked out nicely.

Make your own GLB's