THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Any bullets close enough to TSX to develop on the cheap?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any bullets close enough to TSX to develop on the cheap?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,

I got into reloading originally to save money while maximizing performance. You all know that in much of Kalifornia we have to use lead free ammo. Barnes TSX bullets are pricey. The way I see it is I have two choices

1. spend time and money developing a load with the premium bullet
2. buy a box of ammo already made with it

I think for some of my rifles I'll just go with option two. the problem is, a couple of my rifles I have no option for. a 35 whelen improved and a 308 norma.

So my question is this, is there something that could get me "close" in my loading? i.e. in the 308 norma I'd like to shoot 180g bullets. I have some 180g sierra match kings on the shelf, and some pro-hunters on the shelf.

Thanks everybody.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I generally use Nosler or Sierra match bullets of the same weight for load workup and generally the same load that works for them also works for the Barns TSX. I've done this with both a 7mm Remington Magnum and with a 30/06. In loading for a 375 H&H Magnum, I used Hornady bullets of the same weight and that also worked out well with the same load being good for both.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both Hornady and Nosler make lead free bullets similar to the Barnes. I would use the Hornady Reloading Manual to develop loads using the same weight less expensive lead based bullets to develop loads.

As to factory loaded ammo with lead free bullets, try the new Hornady Superformance cartridges with GSX bullets. See my post of 22 July 2010 in Product Reviews:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...101077631#7101077631

Regards,
Bill.

Posts: 259 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well I'm no help here but the only information I can impart is not in line with the other posters.
I have a 30/06 that shoots 180 grain Sierra's very well with 56 grains of IMR 4350.
When trying Barnes TSX in 168 and 180's I can get nowhere close to the same group size with any loading up or down in charge weight from my original load and have changed bullets seating depths as well to no avail. Rather than go through a full workup to get the Barnes to shoot I abandoned them and still shoot the Sierra's but then again I don't have to shoot anything else.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote