Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Expectations for factory rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Cal Sibley:

I tried to pm you, but I couldn't get it to send. I knew you had a 6MM VLS. I do too. Mine is bone stock, no mods. Have a leupold vari x 2 3x9. I have only fired 20 factory loads through it. Got about 1.5-2" groups. I have tried about 10 different hand loads and only one is really impressive. 39gr H4895 pushing a 75 gr Sierra HP. COAL is 2.815 (not much more room in the magazine). I shot one .4 with that load and some .6's. One other load would consistently group under an inch. Everything else has been a disappointment. Has yours been finicky? Have any good load data?

Thanks
Paul

Posts: 105 | Location: Gulfport MS | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1.25-1.5 inch range for the 7mm and .300 isn't out of the range of reasonable expectations, but I would like to see considerably better for the varmint barreled .243, somewhere in the .5-.7 range. You also haven't tested enough loads to expect to find a great one yet in any of them.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
In my experience, the chance of a stock factory rifle shooting .5moa 5 shot groups consistently is about the same as the chance of marrying a stunning looking red-head with a Mensa level IQ and a great personality. I've heard about them, but never met one..... JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote