Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a good balance beam scale...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted
I started out w/ a Pact electronic dispenser/scale combo. Works o.k., but I have been considering getting a good balance beam scale for a couple reasons:

a) portable, i.e. can take it w/ me to load at the range, etc. Could get a battery-powered electronic scale, though. I'd assume more accurate/reliable than a battery-powered electronic scale?

b) accuracy: Seems that the more I check around, the prevailing opinion is that a *good* balance beam scale is somewhat more accurate than an electronic one. I'm pretty sure that the dispenser isn't really any more accurate than my Redding BR-30 measure, and one heck of a lot slower!!

So I've been looking around a bit, and to me at least, it seems a bit difficult to see much difference btwn the various big manufacturers main line scales, like the Reddings, the RCBS 505, the Lyman, the Hornady, etc. I've always heard good things about the 505s and the 10-10 is an impressive looking peice of hardware, at least in a black-n-white catalog picture

Any input/comments/suggestions?

TIA,

Mont

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an RCBS 10-10, and a Lyman LE-1000.

The 10-10 is made by Ohaus, a long respected name in scales. As long as it's level, it stays right with my check weights (the only time it doesn't is when I forget to clean my check weights with alcohol)

The Lyman weighs brass and shot. Even though it never has given me a reason not to trust it (I check it with the same check weights) I still don't use it (solely) when weighing powder; guess I don't fully trust electronics...

Posts: 77 | Location: W. Branch MI USA | Registered: 22 April 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
Ohaus makes most of the powder scales these days according to what I understand about it.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

<Martindog>
posted
I use my balance beam simply as a backup for my PACT BBK. It is killer for weighing cases or bullets and works great for powder as well. While the PACT is about the cheapest on the market (also sold under the RCBS label), it is very accurate. Using a set of check weights, it is either exactly on or no more than .1g off. That's plenty close enough for me. And my cheapo Lee balance beam when calibrated with check weights compares exactly with my PACT, so while an Ohaus or a Redding is accurate, Lee's will be equally accurate enough for weighing powder (not enouh capacity though for cases or bullets over 110-120g). At that point it comes down to methods of scale adjustments and how easily readable the adjustments are. I can read the Lee scale easily enough, but some have difficulty with the .1g measurement settings. You'd just have to see on for yourself.

I've never tried using either type of scale outside, but I would think the wind would give it fits. If you have a shed or a van or something to set it up in, that would probably work, but both are susceptible to drafts. Also, the balance beam would get the nod if you were outside in winter -- batteries don't like the cold.

Martindog

[This message has been edited by Martindog (edited 04-27-2002).]

<Multi Vis>
posted
Ive used a RCBS 10-10 for yhe last 25+ years and would use nothing else. If anything ever goes wrong with it they will replace it for free, I broke the beam on mine and it was my fault and the whole unit was replaced not questions asked. Hard to beat that deal for the money.:::::MV

<P H Barker>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by milanuk:
I started out w/ a Pact electronic dispenser/scale combo. Works o.k., but I have been considering getting a good balance beam scale for a couple reasons:

a) portable, i.e. can take it w/ me to load at the range, etc. Could get a battery-powered electronic scale, though. I'd assume more accurate/reliable than a battery-powered electronic scale?

b) accuracy: Seems that the more I check around, the prevailing opinion is that a *good* balance beam scale is somewhat more accurate than an electronic one. I'm pretty sure that the dispenser isn't really any more accurate than my Redding BR-30 measure, and one heck of a lot slower!!

So I've been looking around a bit, and to me at least, it seems a bit difficult to see much difference btwn the various big manufacturers main line scales, like the Reddings, the RCBS 505, the Lyman, the Hornady, etc. I've always heard good things about the 505s and the 10-10 is an impressive looking peice of hardware, at least in a black-n-white catalog picture

Any input/comments/suggestions?

TIA,

Mont

I think you'd be happy with a Redding #2. It has the 1/10 grain marks on the indicator plate. About $55.00.

<Indiana Tone>
posted
Redding #2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Milanuk,

I've posted this several times, but for an interesting view on digital scales, some interesting homemade gadgets and a range box for relaoding, go to:

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/reloading.htm

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Don't know about you guys but it doesn't take much of a breeze to make a balance beam scale worthless out side. Have cut out 1 side of a cardboarb box with the back to the wind and it works sometimes. FWIW

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
Good point. I've been looking around at various designs, thinking that a range box might be a good first project for that new router out in the shop

Otherwise, I was thinking about loading either in the little room there at the No. 2 canyon gun club, or over in the covered range area at the NCW gun club. I'd think either one should work.

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I'd have to add my vote for the RCBS 10-10 (or the little brother, the model 505). If you are not reloading shotshells you won't need the bigger model.

Keep it out of breezes and it will be accurate.

If you are going to take it to the range you might eventually drop the balance so consider warranty as well as ruggedness. In 2001, I dropped my RCBS 10-10 which I purchased in 1988 and the beam broke. Note that I had dropped it before, but without effect so they are not particularly fragile.

RCBS (O'Haus, actually) rebuilt the balance for free...and shipped it UPS express back to me here in Sweden for nothing (a cost to them of about $US 30). Can't beat that!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Milanuk,
Do I know you yet?
Do you have a brother named Brian?

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
Dan,

I don't know if we've met yet or not. I've ran into so many shooters here in Wenatchee since I moved here last March from Nebraska. I go to One Shot quite a bit, but then who doesn't No relations around here, and none named Brian.

Monte

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Six of one, half-a-dozen of the other.

Unless you are looking for a lab grade scale, they are all about the same. I lean towards the RCBS 10-10.

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I think I'm leaning towards either a Redding #2 (since about everything else I have is Redding, and pretty good overall) or a RCBS 10-10 (never heard *anything* bad about it anywhere). Thought I had a winning bid on a NIB RCBS 10-10 on e-Bay last night, but some little stinker snuck in while I was asleep and outbid me Oh, well. Should have set my max bid higher.

Thanks again,

Monte

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've used a RCBS 10-10 for yhe last 25+ years and would use nothing else.

Ditto. Mine is about 22 years old. I'm looking at a PACT for weighing bullets, but it will never taste powder.

Eddie