Find
Notify
Tools

A moly question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is Lyman Super Moly a good one to use?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have no experience of the Lyman product, but we have been using the Outers spray on molly, and it works great.

I use it on all our hunting bullets.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much! I'll locate some Outers.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used it to coat a few hundred bullets so far.It is the powder molly with ceramic media.I am happy with it.I will continue to coat all my bullets with it.You put 5 or more teaspoons of molly in the new media to get it ready for the bullets.Once you see the silver media turn black with unabsorbed molly you stop.Then you put in your bullets(I have tried hot and cold and don't see a difference) Your bullets will be completely covered in about an hour(50 bullets).You could go longer,for up to three hours but it doesn't make that much of a difference.Then you take your bullets out of the ceramic media (wear a glove,because a little goes a long way) and put them in some untreated corn cob media for no more than 5 minutes to polish the moly and give them a shinier appearance.They are now ready,but avoid touching them as the moly will come off at the early stages.The moly will stick on after a while and will not come off as easily,but will still come off if handled too much.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried spraying moly from aerosol cans, but the carrier gets me high in one sniff.

I put the bullets on a cookie sheet, hold my breath, spray the bullets, and run away.

And the bullets fall over on the cookie sheet.
This sucks.

So I have the bullets shipped to Russ Hayden of Shooter Supply
http://www.shooters-supply.com/

He coats the bullets for $.02/ea and send them to me.

This has worked well for me, except once. The bullet seller's computer printed an address tag to Shooter's Supply with a different customer's name.

When I order bullets now, I ask that the address label say:

TNECCKK
Care of Shooter's Supply
15018 Goodrich Dr. NW
Gig Harbor, WA 98329

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where does one find the moly spray in Canada?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have no experience of the Lyman product, but we have been using the Outers spray on molly, and it works great.

Why?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lyman stuf with ceramic media and it works great, the only down side is the dust.

If used inside there is a fine layer of dust left on surrounding surfaces, also when seiving the projectiles to remove the ceramic media there is a lot of dust.

It's probably safer to do it outside, weather permitting.

Posts: 61 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed- I really am interested in the fact that you molly coat all your hunting bullets. Why do you do this? What is your reasoning for this?
Thank you-------Pegleg

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Pegleg, Only speaking for myself, I use Moly "Peened into the Bullets" that I do for myself. And they also get a Carnuba Wax coating.

The reason I use Moly is to increase the Barrel Life on my rifles and to drastically reduce the Cleaning time.

Back when Moly was first mentioned many years ago in Precision Shooting, they did some interesting (to me) Testing with it. All the Reports were positive, except they mentioned getting the Moly Powder "Peened" into the Bullet Jacket has a bit of a learning curve and a few Tricks involved.

PS also listed a Hot Link to a Norma Web Site where Norma was doing some Extended Life Testing on some kind of a Hot 6.5mm. I don't remember exactly what the count was on it the last time I saw it, but it was almost 10,000 rounds - with no appreciable loss of accuracy.

And Walt Berger had a running tally in his Ads about the number shot through his wife's Bench Rest Rifle. I think it was just below 5,000 the last time I saw it, also - with no appreciable loss of accuracy.

My subscription ran out before Mr. Berger mentioned having to change the barrel.
---

There was some significant confusion about Moly harming Rifles Bores at one time. What happened was some people "got the impression" that the High Shot count somehow meant they would not have to clean their Barrels. And that led to Pitted Bores.

But, if you follow a proper Cleaning Routine - when the rifle goes outside, it gets cleaned and the Bore properly relubed - then there is no Pitting.

I like it and use it in 99% of my Rifles. I will continue to use it until something better comes along.
---

Oh yes, the rifle I was most concerned about needing to re-barrel at some point simply because I shoot it so much, is doing great - with no appreciable loss of accuracy.
---

I don't use the Spray Moly because it tends to be "Pushed Off" the Bullet Shank as it is Seated into the Case Neck. The effect can be reduced if the Case Neck is "Polished" after Chamfering with a few twists of 0000SteelWool wrapped around a 22cal Bore Brush.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core-

Thank you sir, for a very good explanation. salute

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Why?

17HMR seems to do just fine with naked Copper at 2600 fps and stay accurate without cleaning.

But with moly, I can shoot 223 all day at 3500 fps and stay accurate without cleaning.

So I have slow cartridges that do not need moly; 17HMR, 30-30, 45/70, 45 Colt, 44 mag, 7.62x39mm.

With faster cartridges I have gone to moly; 223, 6mmBR, 257RIA, 308, 7mm Mag, 300WM.

I have seen guys at the range shoot non moly bullets in a rifle, spray moly on a loaded cartridge getting plenty on their fingers, and shoot the cartridge in the rifle that still has Copper fouling.
Some shooters are not up to the moly regime. Nothing to be ashamed of. I don't fly planes. I tried it, but I am too incompetent.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried CRC 03084 16oz Dry Moly Lubricant spray?

Saeed, I like the way you moly .30 cal bullets looked when you did the test recently. Do you have a block that you use to hold the bullet nose down while spraying? Or some other way to keep the non-bearing nose tip moly free?

Thanks Guys

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I use the lyman with the ceramic media and it works good. Make sure to degrease the bullets.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right now space is the limiting factor. I was going to buy some spray moly and saw the CRC was half the price. Thanks for your reply.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote