New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 75 Gr. Horndy A-Max seat depth in AR-15
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My RRA varmint will shoot any ammo I put thru it into or under 1 inch at 100 yds and it has a 1 in 8 twist.
black hills 52 gr 3/4 inch consistantly
winchester 55 gr fmj 1 inch consistantly
black hills 60gr partition 3/4 consistantly
and it shoots the heavier bullets even better!

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
AC, it sounds like your trouble ain't the ammo! If the rifle shoots nearly everything into 2+ inches, I'd look elsewhere, myself. For example, I got a BFN - brand new Bushy flattop some years ago whose barrel was so loose that I could move it by hand!

FWIW, my experience with the A-Max's in 1-9" barrels has been universally good. It's been even better when using moly bullets since (in my experience), the moly bullet seems to prefer very long "jumps" into the rifling leade. This is great news if your barrel's throated long. A friend borrowed my 24" Savage a few weeks ago to shoot F-Class at our 600 yard prone match. His wife shot it, using my moly A-Max loads and she beat the pants off nearly everybody! They work! Load them between 2.425" and 2.475" - depending on your particular rifle's throat. Look for 2700 - 2800 on average.

HTH

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the encouragement you guys.

I broke down and bought a box of factory ammo today (talk about deperation, I haven't bought a box of factory ammo in probably 30 years or so...). What I bought is Federal Gold Medal Match with 69 gr. HPBTM bullets. Also loaded some 53 gr. Sierra moly'd FBHPs over 24.0 AA-2460 to try. If those two possibilites don't shoot, I've got some buddies who are AR-15 sharks and I'll just turn it over to one of them and say, "Make this S.O.B. shoot!!!" I just hate to use up "chits" that I have to call in to do that...

I originally wanted a RRA upper with 1-in-8" twist, 20" long, bull barrel, so that may be where we end up, but it would be nice to know why this rig won't shoot and perhaps get some of my money's worth out of it.

Thanks again,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AC,

It's my understanding lighter bullets are less susceptible to overstabilization than heavy are to understabilization. But popping stuff at long range leads one to want a heavy bullet so I'm about to work up some loads for my H-BAR. I'll be starting with some bulk 68gr. blems, and 70gr Berger LTBs. The idea for the LTBs is to get the bullet closer to the lands while still functioning in the magazine. The trade-off is some BC and I might gain more from a lighter low-drag design. The Bergers are a little pricey too.

Good luck.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seat those AMAXs about .010" off the lands and back them with 24gr of Varget. Use a CCI or Remington 7 1/2 primer. They are meant to be loaded long for single loading.