Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New load for 270 WSM
 Login/Join

posted
Trying to work up a new load for my Tika wsm 270, to be used for elk. Want to use a heavier bullet, approx 150 grains. Two bullets have my attention. Berger VLD and the Barnes tsx. I see a couple potential issues. The Barnes info says to seat bullet .03 to .07 off the lands. That should not be an issue. It also says to have a barrel twist of 1 in 9.5 inch or faster. My gun is 1 in 10 inch. Is that an issue. On the Burger it says the bullet works best if seated to the start of the lands. I'm afraid the length will be too long for the magazine. Does anyone have any experience with either of these bullet? Also, any other positive experience in reloading for a 270 WSM. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
If it were me I'd just stay away from the Bergers for general Elk hunting, they may work fine for specialized long range shooting but what if your Bull pops up at 35yards and that explosive Berger suddenly is a mess.
Second, when using Mono metals (Barnes) it is not necessary to have heavy bullets, my brothers 270 WSM shot 110 grain Barnes TTSX into tiny groups and he killed several Elk with that, all pass throughs.

Some folks do it different but before I start loading with a particular bullet I check my maximum seating length that will work through the magazine and the maximum OAL to the lands.
No point in wasting your time working up a load that won't function in the magazine or too long and into the lands. If your magazine and overall length allow start .010 off the lands and keep seating deeper until you find a sweet spot.

As to your twist shoot it and see, people love to tell you what theoretically "won't work in your rifle" only you will know after you've done it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My point with the lighter mono metal bullet comment was meant to say don't get hung up on heavy for caliber when selecting a mono a 130 or even a 110 may penetrate further than a cup and core 150,
Find what your rifle likes but the 2 you selected (Berger and Barnes) could not be further apart on their construction and application.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback Snellstrom. The reason I'm considering a heavier bullet is the last couple years, my son and I have used the Hornady ELDX with poor killing results. It appears we are not getting good expansion with that bullet. One at short distant and one at rather long distance. My shot with the 270 was at long distance (approx 450 yds) and it hit the lung. That elk went a long way. I did load up for my 270 wsm, some Barnes 130 grain TTSX, but have not had a chance to shoot them into an animal. We have both given up on the ELDX after our experiences.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never been enamored with mono bullets OR pass through off into the next county like many of the target style bullets do...I want whatever bullet I happen to pick to go through just enough to leave a BIG HOLE on the back side and hit the ground a few yards on the other side...kinda hard to find because you have to work for it. I usually shoot one of the cup and core bullets like Nosler BT, Speer Hot core or Horn SP's/SST's...Hawk's now and then and Partitions in various large cals...I'm the "CHEAP OL'; BASTID" Big Grin

I've had a 7mm RM since they first came out and just built a 32" 28 Nosler. BOTH shoot the 150 gr Nosler BT (mostly)into .5" or less when I do my part and TAKE THE TIME TO WORK UP THE LOAD...and just about any of the target type bullets into even smaller groups...BUT I don't use those bullets for hunting...I use the BT's or Parts because I live 125 mile from Bend, Oregon where Nosler is located and I go up there a couple times a year just to buy seconds at slightly over half price or stop in when I'm varminting in that area.

BOTH my 28 Nosler and 7mm RM put 3-5 123 gr ELX's into almost one hole and 150 Nosler BT's into 3 touching and Berger 180 VLD's pretty much the same(at ≈3175 f/s for the 28 Nos, ≈2900 for the RM) when I'm not twitching around.

To check penetration I shoot various bullets/cartridge/calibers into lodgepole pine logs stacked end to end and/or one behind the other ≈30-36" thick or more in some cases...in front of my sand box so I can recover the bullets hopefully.

MOST target ELX/VLD bullets zip right through and don't deform much...SOMETIMES the hunting variety copies of the target bullets will open a bit, Barnes TX style open up but I'm shooting at high velos 25-30 ft away NOT 400 plus yards away. I've downloaded to velos for 300-500 yds to see "what the heck and why" and those mono's don't do well...but many/most of the cup and core jobbies do what their supposed to do, open up and stay in the last log or don't bury themselves too deep in the sand...they ALSO do the same in the game I've shot. Small hole going in, lotsa blood and gore coming out the backside, scrambled insides and NO lost meat when the bullet goes where it supposed to...

I shoot sage rats and ground squirrels out well beyond 400 yds with my highly developed rifles and ammo, but not game...I limit my shots to 250-300 yds and the closer the better. Lotsa of vid's about killing way the heck out there but that takes a very good marksman, lotsa work on the load combo, and lotsa technical/digital help...AND lotsa PRACTICE.

I think a ≈150 gr give or take a few gr would be excellent for you WSM and can reach 3000 f/s with several powders...the 150 gr bullet was actually Jack O'Connor's favorite weight for his 270 Win, a little know fact that is VERY argumentative...and the 160 Gr Nosler Part at ≈29-2950 fs would be an excellent choice I think.

There is NO magic bullet and finding that "perfect for you" one is hard work not only to do the work necessary to optimize your ammo combo but also to optimize the rest of the system...or not, depending on what you are willing to do...sometime just buying factory ammo will work fine.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I am not a mono bullet fan, but that is me. I prefer big holes to open up and let the blood flow. In any event, those that want to shoot them get good results.

I have tried 150's in my 270 WSM and with R22 I can almost put them in the same hole off the bench. I was using 150 Nosler Partitions (factory seconds). I believe I was getting 2950 fps with my load. It was a near max load as I recall, do not have my notes handy.

I don't rifle Elk hunt anymore, went muzzleloader. So I stick with lighter bullets for deer. I have a ton of 130 and 140 loads. My Winchester likes hot loads about 5 thousandths off the lands. I have had not good luck with any Hornaday bullet in it. Scirroccos, Accubonds, A Frames, Partitions, and Sierra are all very accurate out of my rifle. I use R19, R22, and Retumbo. My rifle will not shoot factory at all, bullet depth is to deep

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My go to Deer load for my .270 WSM’s is 140 grain Barnes TSX in front of 68 grains of RL-25 and Fed 210M primer. My last Mule Deer was at 280 yards, a through the lungs shot was a bullet size going in and a silver dollar size exit hole with blood and gore for yards in the snow behind the Deer. He jumped straight up and landed on his back to move no more. I also shoot Nosler Ballistic Tips and Accubond blems with that same load with excellent success. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote