New
Find
Notify
Tools

Co-Ax
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been considering the purchase of the Forster/Bonanza Co-Ax Reloading Press. However, the handle is in the center of the press. If any of you have experience with this press, would you please tell me if the handle placed in the middle makes it hard to sit in front of the press and have room to comfortably work the handle. Seems to me it would have to be a very short handle to sit in front of the press. Most presses,it seems, have the handle off to the side. Thanks for any help you can be.

[ 10-13-2003, 20:21: Message edited by: dzrtram ]

Posts: 62 | Location: CA | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't personally used the Co-Ax, but have seen several advisements that some especially "tall" dies (such as micrometer seating dies) may not clear the handle. [Confused]

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Forster Co-Ax press. It is a most excellent press. I especially like the fact that the dies, although locked in their lock rings, float slightly in the press, which helps avoid concentricity problems that might otherwise happen with presses in which the dies are screwed down and locked in a fixed position with respect to the press and the cartridge. I also like the ease with which dies are put in and taken out of the press.

As to your question about the handle, I have not found it to be a problem. Being right-handed, I just sit a bit to the left side of the press. If I were left-handed, I would sit to the right of the press.

The Forster Co-ax press will of course work with tall Forster micrometer seating dies, which are quite good. The Co-ax will accept all of the dies I use (several different brands). I am not certain if there are any dies so tall that they will not work in that press; but if you are concerned about it, call Forster and they will advise you.

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I can only buy one press right now. It's between the Co-Ax and the Redding T-7. Sinclair's catalog says you can't use the REDDING competition seater longer than .308 Winchester in the Co-Ax. Of course, there are others, including Forster's. Right now I think I would have to go with the Redding T-7. At first I couldn't understand why it had 7 stations. Now I'm beginning to understand when I see the Lyman M dies, Lee FCD, etc, some of which have to been in an extra step. I have an old Ohaus Model 7200 DU-O-MEASURE powder measure that can also be used in one of the stations. Wow, almost like a progressive with everything on one toolhead. It sure makes things handy. I dont' even know if Ohaus is even in business anymore, do any of you?
I intend to use my rifle dies on the T-7 or Forster and continue using my pistol dies on the Dillon 550 and Square deal.
Let me know what you think about all this, including the Redding T-7.
Thanks for the info. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CO-AX press and it is my favorite single stage press. It is true some micrometer type dies are too "tall" and will hit the yoke, but Forster dies will fit their press. I especially like the adjustable jaw type shell plate for sizing and priming. It will work on about everything except the big old BP rounds.

With that said, I would also recommend the Redding Ultra-Mag press. If you are even remotely thinking about the old humongous black powder cartridges, you'll want this press. It has also come to my attention that RCBS has a new press out. I have not had my hands on one yet, but from what they say about it, it is a larger press.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Co-Ax is easily the best press I have used - try it once, and you'll see why I think it oozes quality.

When that is said, I actually think the Co-Ax and other presses, where you insert cases directly from the front, are probably (marginally) slower to use, than presses where you can insert cases from the side (e.g. O-frame presses like Redding Boss or RCBS Rockchucker). Additionally, I'm not sure that having the handle on top of the press lends itself very well to operating the press while seated?? It sure takes up more room around your reloading bench - my previous Hornady press was less intrusive because it was low enough to be below my elbow level when performing other tasks at the bench.

I still like the Co-Ax better, but there are advantages to other presses as well.
- mike

P.S. Forster has a new, shorter handle available as an add-on to the Co-Ax. It thanfully comes standard with a ball handle (otherwise a mod for the Co-Ax normal handle). The shorter handle is recommended for smaller cases. Have not tried it yet.

[ 10-13-2003, 22:34: Message edited by: mho ]

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Here's the scoop straight from Forster:

http://www.forsterproducts.com/cgi-bin/faq_search.pl?id_num=000079

According to their tests, the Co-Ax will handle all Redding Comp. Seater dies up to, and including, the .300 Win. Mag.

Your choice boils down to this: If you want great concentric ammo, get the Co-Ax, for sure. If you want convenience get the turret.

RSY
(Satisfied Co-Ax owner [Big Grin] )

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it does come down to accuracy vs. speed. I load all my pistol dies on the Dillons because they don't have to have pinpoint accuracy. I would never use MY reloads in a carry gun. The entire objective of the rifle loads is to get as much accuracy as possible, if not for need, then for fun. I love distance shooting in the bigger calibers. Since I've started to age my eyes, which were never great, need the help of a scope. I'm lucky to have a friend with a 480 ranch in the mountains where we have set up a pistol range and a long distance rifle range. So It all fits, and it sure is fun.
Thanks for the input. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a co-ax and I use it for all my rifle loads. I always weigh these loads, not like my pistol reloads where I feel a powder measure is sufficiently accurate. So for me speed is not an issue. But having said that the the "shell holder" is much faster (for me) and for "tall" rounds I've had less problems with dumping powder out of really full cases.

And yes, for "longer" cartridges the yoke can be an issue. I had to have 1/4 inch taken off the length of the seating adjustment stem in 428 Lott to get it to properly seat the longer (500 gr.) bullets using Hornady dies. I've had no issues with 375 H&H and smaller though. Except that even the large "shell holder" chews up the rim of 45/70 brass pretty badly.

Also you've got to watch it in case the primer de-capper tension is a little loose as you can make it's shaft into a big U shape :-( I can attest to the fact that this can be a real bummer if you've got lots of loading to do.

I think what I've said here is that this press is mostly rifle cartridge friendly, I can't say about pistol ammo as I've never tried it.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I'm man enough to pull the trigger on a .428 Lott, so that won't be an issue [Wink]

[ 10-14-2003, 09:03: Message edited by: dzrtram ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet a lot of people don't realize it, but the cheap ole Lee turret press has some of the same features as the co-ax. I know I'll get flamed for this, but here goes.
There just a bit of play in the turret which allows it to spin, this is the same as the die floating in the co-ax, and helps eliminate concentricity problems.
Dies can be set up in the turret and left, making changeovers just as fast as the co-ax.
The top of the press is not hindered like the co-ax, so any dies, micrometer or otherwise, will work fine.
IMHO, the Lee turret has a far superior method of priming than the co-ax.
The co-ax is one of the finest built presses available, and I used one for a long time. It's just that there are a lot of presses that work fine, if you don't want or can't spend that kind of money.
I think it's kind of funny that a lot of guys at the range spend hundreds of dollars for custom made portable presses to use while shooting. They are machined from solid aluminum and cost like crazy. Then I look at the Lee Reloader and for $20 they could have a press that does everything the expensive presses do. Now I won't deny that the custom ones are great, but they don't add a darn thing to accuracy.
I'm not trying to discourage you from buying anything you desire, I'd just like to see people be honest about what is "needed" to load accurate ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bobby! [Smile]
What bothers me about the Co-Ax is loading from the front. I guess you get used to it, but it seems more clumsy, and slower. Combine that with the handle in the center and it just seems weird to work, but I know nothing about it. I've never even seen one in the gun stores. I'm just looking at the picture and thinking, "That sure looks strong, but it sure looks like it's slow and clumsy to use." Any comments about that? [Confused]

quote:
Originally posted by Bobby:
I bet a lot of people don't realize it, but the cheap ole Lee turret press has some of the same features as the co-ax. I know I'll get flamed for this, but here goes.
There just a bit of play in the turret which allows it to spin, this is the same as the die floating in the co-ax, and helps eliminate concentricity problems.
Dies can be set up in the turret and left, making changeovers just as fast as the co-ax.
The top of the press is not hindered like the co-ax, so any dies, micrometer or otherwise, will work fine.
IMHO, the Lee turret has a far superior method of priming than the co-ax.
The co-ax is one of the finest built presses available, and I used one for a long time. It's just that there are a lot of presses that work fine, if you don't want or can't spend that kind of money.
I think it's kind of funny that a lot of guys at the range spend hundreds of dollars for custom made portable presses to use while shooting. They are machined from solid aluminum and cost like crazy. Then I look at the Lee Reloader and for $20 they could have a press that does everything the expensive presses do. Now I won't deny that the custom ones are great, but they don't add a darn thing to accuracy.
I'm not trying to discourage you from buying anything you desire, I'd just like to see people be honest about what is "needed" to load accurate ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello dzrtram,

That Forster Co-Ax is one of the better presses being made today. Most reloaders are quite happy with them. I don't currently own one, but every Forster product I've used is top notch.
Regarding the Redding T-7, you can buy extra turrets at a reasonable price, making them even more versatile. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that's what I'm talkin' about! [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Cal Sibley:
Hello dzrtram,
..............Regarding the Redding T-7, you can buy extra turrets at a reasonable price, making them even more versatile. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dzrtram:
[QB]Thanks, Bobby! [Smile]
What bothers me about the Co-Ax is loading from the front. I guess you get used to it, but it seems more clumsy, and slower. Combine that with the handle in the center and it just seems weird to work, but I know nothing about it. I've never even seen one in the gun stores. I'm just looking at the picture and thinking, "That sure looks strong, but it sure looks like it's slow and clumsy to use." Any comments about that? [Confused]

I wouldn't think twice about it. It took me more time to lubricate the press, then it did to figure out standing to one side or the other makes for a very convienient arrangement. I can tell you this, it quickly became my favorite single stage press. I'm sold on the jaw type shell holder, and you will be too the first time your lube pad goes dry. Every press I've ever used will tear the rim off a case if it goes into the die dry, not the CO-AX. It didn't take long for that to happen to me and I went from "that sounds nice" to a firm believer.

This is one product, along with the Dillon, that I'll recommend to anyone.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as convience goes, I wouldn't worry about that. They really are pretty easy to get used to. If that's all that's holding you back from buying one, I wouldn't worry, I'd get it.
One thing to remember is that all the dies you use will have to have that Forster type lock nut on them or they won't fit in the press just right. Some older RCBS dies had a similar lock ring that worked fine, but most of the others have to be changed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe you.
ABOUT THE DILLON. I had cancer and did not work on the reloading equipment for a few years, and I was a beginner then, which is why I ask so many questions..... Anyway, the reloading equipment was the least of my worries at the time. I just left everything sitting there. Over that time period the Lee dies rusted badly, the Hornady dies rusted less than the Lees, but the Dillons didn't rust. It looks like they coat them with something. Do you know why they didn't rust after sitting in my garage for several years?
I also like the DILLONS because the dies are clearly marked and you know exactly what they are for, caliber and what type. I have Lees that have no markings on them saying what it is, or at least I think they are Lees. I have Lees that are marked "Lee", but don't tell you what type (i.e. seater, etc.) Lee charges for their catalog. You have to snail mail the request and a buck or two for it. Lee doesn't have a toll-free tech line like Dillon. [Mad]
I will say this for HORNADY , they will support you to the max. To make a long story short, I was ripped off by a guy at a gunshow. He sold me a set of dies. One of the dies was not for anything we could imagine. I sent it to Hornady. They didn't even know what it was. The die I was supposed to get hadn't been made for a long time. They made me a replacement die and sent it to me NO COST! [Big Grin]
Thanks for the information. You just encouraged me enough to buy one. [Wink]
quote:
Originally posted by packrat:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dzrtram:
[QB]Thanks, Bobby! [Smile]

I wouldn't think twice about it. It took me more time to lubricate the press, then it did to figure out standing to one side or the other makes for a very convienient arrangement. I can tell you this, it quickly became my favorite single stage press. I'm sold on the jaw type shell holder, and you will be too the first time your lube pad goes dry. Every press I've ever used will tear the rim off a case if it goes into the die dry, not the CO-AX. It didn't take long for that to happen to me and I went from "that sounds nice" to a firm believer.

This is one product, along with the Dillon, that I'll recommend to anyone.

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby:
One thing to remember is that all the dies you use will have to have that Forster type lock nut on them or they won't fit in the press just right. Some older RCBS dies had a similar lock ring that worked fine, but most of the others have to be changed.

Actually, current Hornady and Redding rings will work in it, as well.

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just measured my co-ax and found that there is 4.75" of clearance from top of die loc ring to Bottom of the handle yoke. I'm sure it must be to short for something, I just haven't found it in 25 years of use. And it doesn't seem to be worn out yet!

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the Sinclair catalog is the only place I've heard that it is too short..... [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Soundman:
I just measured my co-ax and found that there is 4.75" of clearance from top of die loc ring to Bottom of the handle yoke. I'm sure it must be to short for something, I just haven't found it in 25 years of use. And it doesn't seem to be worn out yet!

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard in some posts that the co-ax won't use dies like Forster or RCBS competition dies because the micrometer head is too high. If you don't plan on using them then I see no problem.
The Lee dies are super IMHO, but the one thing I would change is the fact that they rust so easy. Short of keeping them in sealed containers, I don't know what to do with them. The inside seems to stay ok, but the outside always gets a light coating of surface rust. I guess it doesn't hurt their function, but it's annoying. I like them too well to stop using them, so I just try to keep them oiled a little to help prevent it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone in an earlier reply mentioned sitting to left of the press (right-handed operator) but didn't go into detail. I clamp a piece of plywood to the bench to the right of the press. It forms an L shape with the bench and provides a surface to the front-right of the press. I place the loading block on it so as I set to the left side of the press the cases are directly in front of my right arm. My left hand grips the handle just above the yoke which provides enough leverage for most operations. For full-length sizing, my right hand is in the right position to help finish the stroke. For bullet seating, I place the bullets to the left of the press. To me, going back to the Rockchucker would be the awkward situation.

Posts: 63 | Location: Creighton, Nebraska | Registered: 19 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I had a turret press and a Co-ax for awhile. The turret press got sold.

I didn't find any difference in speed between the turret and the co-ax, other then when changing heads on the turret, which made the co-ax faster. If you load alot of a paticular caliber, the turret may be a tad faster. If you load 20 here, 50 there of many different rounds, the co-ax has an advantage.

I've found no problems with the center mounted handle.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load .375 H&H on the Co-Ax, using the Forster Micrometer Bench Rest seating die.

But what about a .416 Rigby?

Has anybody tried this Big Boy on the Co-Ax?

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top:
Someone in an earlier reply mentioned sitting to left of the press (right-handed operator) but didn't go into detail. I clamp a piece of plywood to the bench to the right of the press. It forms an L shape with the bench and provides a surface to the front-right of the press. I place the loading block on it so as I set to the left side of the press the cases are directly in front of my right arm. My left hand grips the handle just above the yoke which provides enough leverage for most operations. For full-length sizing, my right hand is in the right position to help finish the stroke. For bullet seating, I place the bullets to the left of the press. To me, going back to the Rockchucker would be the awkward situation.

Hey Top, don't suppose you have a digital (or otherwsise) camera?? I'm kind'a thick, so it would be really nice to see a picture of your setup. Possible??
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<kailua custom>
posted
Dear Dzrtram,
I got my Co-ax in a garage sale in Hawaii in 73` and still have it. I, personally, wouldn`t trade it for any press I can think of old or NEW!!! The handle was/is no problem for me. I love mine and the only other press I use is my old Hollywood [experimental] Medium size Turret[85 lbs]. The Bonanza Co-Ax does the rest. You will be amazed by the leverage you get with the Co-Ax.

Aloha, Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a great idea. Thank you! [Big Grin]

QUOTE]Hey Top, don't suppose you have a digital (or otherwsise) camera?? I'm kind'a thick, so it would be really nice to see a picture of your setup. Possible??
- mike[/QB][/QUOTE]
[Big Grin]

[ 10-16-2003, 21:18: Message edited by: dzrtram ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dzrtram,
I have had a number of presses in my loading "career" and when I got my coax I stopped looking for anything else. I am very happy with it. You do have to get used to the position of the handle but it is worth the bother.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I agree with Chic. The only reason I had to get a rockchucker is my 500 Jeffrey dies are 1"-14, and hence wouldn't fit in the co-ax. Then again, the rc is too short, but I was too cheap to get the Redding ultramag.

I don't know of any unhappy co-ax owners?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, those testimonials should convince me, shouldn't they?

one of us
posted Hide Post
About 6 months ago I purchased the Redding T-7 press. I love it as it simplifies changing dies; you don't. Just rotate the head. With seven stations you can set up for 3 calibers. Initially I was concerned about the play that may exist because of the head. Cannot detect any movement at all. This press is built like a tank. It weighs 25 pounds and feels like it.
Ron

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, WV USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you! The seven stations are what I like about it, too. At first I wondered why so many, then I started to learn. There are several reasons. Do you use the Lyman M Die, or Lee Factory Crimp Dies, or the Redding Profile die? If you do I would like to know what your experience has been with any of them. Thanks for the information. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by C210:
About 6 months ago I purchased the Redding T-7 press. I love it as it simplifies changing dies; you don't. Just rotate the head. With seven stations you can set up for 3 calibers. Initially I was concerned about the play that may exist because of the head. Cannot detect any movement at all. This press is built like a tank. It weighs 25 pounds and feels like it.
Ron

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
One caveat to my beloved Co-Ax is she doesn't pull bullets with a collet puller too well. The Forster SuperFast pullers will work, but bullets get marred.

So, I went on e-bay and found a good old Bonanza 68 press for my pulling needs. Now I've kinda got the Bonanza timeline going on my bench.

Now that I think about it, I'm not too sure a turret press could stand up to pulling bullets, either. Something to consider.

RSY

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck, I don't even know how to pull a bullet with a press. I've just been using the "hammer"-type by hand.

quote:
Originally posted by RSY:
One caveat to my beloved Co-Ax is she doesn't pull bullets with a collet puller too well. The Forster SuperFast pullers will work, but bullets get marred.

So, I went on e-bay and found a good old Bonanza 68 press for my pulling needs. Now I've kinda got the Bonanza timeline going on my bench.

Now that I think about it, I'm not too sure a turret press could stand up to pulling bullets, either. Something to consider.

RSY