THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any options on 375x2.5" (Nitro Express) brass?
 Login/Join

posted
About 30 years ago I bought a nice little Cogswell & Harrison double rifle in this caliber. Feeding it has been one monumental headache. I am seeking any source for brass.

Way back when I bought one box of BELL brass (which still has the $18.95 sticker) and then Bertram (must be Australian for extortionists) bought out BELL and the price immediately jumped to $66. Now it's $96. I guess this is a caliber for millionaires.

I know 30-40 Krag brass can be used but they come out way too short and I would like to use the properly sized cases (call me kooky). I have read that 405 Winchester can be reformed but I looked at the specs and it doesn't look compatible to me. At least not in any way easily resized.

Any suggestions? Is there any alternative to the grossly over-priced Bertram?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saxon,
I'm tempted to say I'll take the troublesome thing off your hands at a discounted price due to the cost of brass, that or you can make your own using the 405 winchester cases you mentioned. I just ran a second batch of 50 hornady cases for my 375/2.5 and they work nicely. You'll have to reduce the rim diameter by 18-20 thousandths, you can do this on a drill press with a file if you can't find a small lathe. It's easier to do this before sizing the cases. The rim thickness may have to be reduced prehaps up to 5 thousandths also but check with your rifle first, see if the chamber rim is cut deep enough that the case rim is even with the face of the barrels, it may close on the unmodified rim thickness and you may be able to avoid this step. If you do have to reduce the thickness you have to do this from the front, best done on a small lathe. After running them thru you sizeing die you'll have to shorten them about a tenth of an inch (.10). This will net you cases at about 20% of the Bertram price, good deal in my book, plus they are probably better cases.
Hope this helps.
Best.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Here are some links -

$43 for 20 - http://www.springfieldminutemen.com/dies.html

These guys will do formed brass (I got my 9.5X57 from them) http://www.ch4d.com/

You could try Buffalo arms - I am not able to get on to their site.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a sample of the .405 brass and check the rim for proper thickness. Then check the head diameter of your chamber for a fit. See if you can make a case out of it. Hornady brass is excellent.

Bertram has never had a good thing said about it.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter- That Springfieldminutemen outfit has been out of business for over 4 years.