New
Find
Notify
Tools

forming 7 mauser brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need some 7x57 brass. I have 500 TW over a 5 30-06 brass. I ran some in the 7 die today. no buckled cases or lube dents. But the original neck junction of the 06 is visible but I cant feel it. Do you think these need to be annealed? I've never done this before,so thats why i'm asking. thanks.

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is normal to be able to see the former neck/shoulder junction in brass reformed to a shorter/smaller caliber. That is nothing to worry about.

However, that Twin Cities brass is probably pretty old. The older brass is, the harder it becomes. Also, if it has been reloaded one or more times it will be somewhat work-hardened. It would probably work better if properly annealed, but proper annealing is not all that easy to do.

Rather than worry about the small shoulder imprint, it is much more likely that old/hard brass will show cracked necks on the first firing if not annealed.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesMake up forty rounds somewhat below max. and try them. Prior to this you might find it advantageous to turn the necks a little. Try to maintain a neck wall thickness of.0105" to .0120".
oldI will and have annealed brass on occasion but have reloaded even reformed 06 brass from 1942 and 43 on my wild cats without annealing and had good results.
WinkBound to add to your experience and knowledge . beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies. I reformed a hundred of them. the neck thicknes is 0.015.about as perfect as you can get. I fired some and didnt split any necks. The chamber on this 93 is huge so its a neck size only from now on.
I got this rifle for my 16 b-day. I loaded a bunch of shells for it then with a lee loader so its been 20 years since ive shot it. Kind of excited about the new gun....again

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote