New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a Gong????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know this is the reloading forum, but it is the one I visit most often and the one that I have come to rely on when I need answers. That said, this is not really a reloading question at all, but I will be shooting handloads at it so hope that qualifies.

My buddy and I are interested in putting a gong together to shoot with our rifles (.300 Winchester Magnums and smaller). What I would like to know is what type of steel (ie. thickness, hardness, etc.) I need to get for shooting the gong as close as 300 yards and as far as I can see it .

Also, how big should I make it with shots of 300 to 500 yards being the norm. I was thinking about 12x12 inches, but that might be a touch small. We are practicing for elk sized animals at these ranges.

Also, it will need to be mobile so how do you recommend setting it up. I was thinking of welding a chain on each side of it with enough chain to hook onto a pole on each side set 1 to 2 feet out. Something like a metal fence post with a hook welded on it. Would that be enough to hold the gong with the pressure from impact?

Thanks for your input. Looking forward to ringing the bell soon.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
Long-range gongs are a blast. My range has a bunch set from 200 to 440 yards. I helped with the installation of a 24" diameter and 1" thick steel plate, about 120lbs. It had two holes cut about 8" apart with an acetylene torch and into that we stuck bent rebar for hanging from a big 1" rebar support.

A manhole cover would do the job, though it's a little big for your needs. You could paint it white to help keep track of your hits. Or you'll probably find what you need at the nearest scrap yard.

Jacketed bullets will make a sieve of anyting less than the beast above in short order. One of the old-timers told me they used to have a mill plate, this 300 pound monstrosity from an old sugar mill, that eventually fell into three pieces.

And it's not often that I get a true "ding" with my WinMag, usually just a "thud." The guys shooting blackpowder and cast bullets get more good dings than thuds. I spot for them and when I see the gray puff and swinging gong I usually wait for the ding to come back instead of saying they hit it. On days when I can't sit still enough for fine group work I just blast away at the gongs.

Let us know what you end up with. Good luck.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
We made ours from an alloy plate called T3. It is "hard as Dragon scales" but tricky to weld. Use reverse polarity. It will not pock mark or bend like common plate steel.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300winnie--for what it is worth this is one of the better questions I've seen on these forums.....

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
The easiest way to get a no-maintenance gong that will hold up to 50BMG at point blank range:

Go to your local Caterpillar dealer and ask if you can have or purchase some worn out track plates from a D8 or D9. Also buy a handfull of the special welding rod that they sell with plate rebuild kits, they will know exactly what you are asking for.
The plates are made from a work hardening manganese steel and are indestructible.

Weld them into a square, making sure there is some overlap.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a steel-fabrication shop in your area, see what they might have in the way of HEAVY scrap chunks of steel. If it's heavy enough, no one will want to swipe it and you might be able to leave it set up.

I live in a mining area, and our local shop GIVES me 12"x12" abrasion-resistant plate which is FOUR INCHES thick, and these weigh 160 pounds. That stuff will never wear out, I assure you.

Hanging such a heavy plate is a job. We use 3/4" rebar or t-posts driven into the ground for uprights, with their height a matter of choice. Then, short pieces (6" or so) of iron pipe or conduit just large enough to slip over the uprights are drilled at one end with a hole just big enough to accept a third piece of rebar, which becomes the crossbar. Slip these pieces of pipe over the posts with the drilled ends uppermost, slide the crossbar through the holes, and the rig is ready for the plate. The target plate is either chained to the crossbar at the ends OUTSIDE the uprights, or suspended by a welded-on bar from the middle of the crossbar. This works great, is very cheap, and can be set-up or knocked down in moments. All it takes is a t-post driver.

If the target is to be suspended from the crossbar, rather than chained, then a strategically-placed bend in the middle of the crossbar will stop the target plate from sliding sideways on the bar. Small pipe clamps will accomplish the same thing.

We've fired literally thousands of rounds at such targets, and it's still fun!

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Steel= 7 3/4" dia. 1" thick pipe cap (free/work or junk yard), used to close off a large pipe, has 4 bolt holes already in it. For 22lr 8"x1/4" steel plate. Portable stand= 4 pcs of wood, 26"longx31/2"widex3/4"thick. Drill hole 3/4" in top of wood. These are the legs to hold metal. 1 pcs 1/2" (3/4)dia x36" long heavy walled galvanised water pipe(cross member).Use coat hangers to suspend metal target. Or clothe line and 2 trees.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like a gong or plates too.

This thread might help you some.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000089

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a 10 inch section of rail track works good for just shooting. old dics from discers would work too i think i still have to try a few of them.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
If there is farming in your area, go see one of the farmers and ask them if they have any old disc blades lying around. You can probably get them for free or for scrap prices because after they are worn down to 16-18 diameter, they aren't any good. I mounted mine at 550 yds but decided it was too far and moved it to 250 yds. The 375 H&H doesn't phase it, haven't tried the 300RUM yet. One added feature is that disc blades have a 1 1/2 inch hole in the middle. If it doesn't ring when I shoot, I just know I must have shot right thru that little hole!

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 1085 steel. I think it is used in large snow plow blades. It can handle my 470 NE and 416 Rigby. Also, weld tabs with a hole on the back side of your plate to attach your chain. You will eventually hit the chain and this saves the day as you won't have to drag your welder back out to weld a chain to the plate. Just have some extra links to re-attach.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

IF IT NEEDS TO BE MOBILE THE BEST THING I'VE FOUND IS AN OLD REALTY TYPE PUSH IN SIGN. I HAVE A BOWLING BALL SHAPED STEEL TARGET IN MY BACKYARD HUNG ON ONE. ALL YA DO IS SIMPLE PUSH IT WITH YOUR FOOT INTO THE GROUND WHERE EVER YOU WANT.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.....

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
My club just has a 300yard range.
Our gong is at 300 yards beside the target racks.It measures 12" across and 18' long and is 2" thick. It hangs on two chains and really rings when hit.
One Saturday about two weeks before Deer season I got there early and removed the gong. In its place I hung a piece of styrofoam. It was perfect .You couldn't tell it was fake from the line.
I put up some targets and waited.
I shoot a Savage in .308 that prints under an inch just fooling around. I shot the "gong" and was very please that it just hung there silently.
Well here they come,my shooting buddies. I could hardly keep a straight face.
Three or four of em got set up and walked right past the gong without even looking at it.
One of them hunkered down behind his 'Baby' and cut loose at the gong. Nothing.
He was cussing and asking if anyone saw where the shot hit. I played dumb and fooled around in my range box.
Boom,again nothing. Others were asking where he bought the 'Log' he was shooting.
Others began shooting at the Gong and it just hung there quiet as a mouse. I had to go pee. I haven't heard that much cussing since the out come of the O.J trail was announced.
They all had their screwdrivers out adjusting their scopes up and down and left to right.Cussing the wind, the powder,the primers, bullet seating ,you name it.
They didn't take a liking to me laughing,wanting me to try to hit the 'damn thing' as they called it.
I told them I would as soon as I got my scope back on.
More shooters showed up and sure enough they were shooting at the Gong. All of em. It reminded me of those lil Japs shooting at Godzilla with no effect.
By now I figured there was a hole in the dirt behind the gong that you could hang up a pickup truck in. I had to go over behind mine and laugh out loud while I relieved
myself.
It seems that a bullet could pass thru the gong and the hole would close up.
Someone finally noticed what was going on and went out to check things out.
After they got thru cussing me and my entire family completly bald, the boys started to invite new comers to try their luck at our sight in 'Gong'.
You should try this at your range. I'll bet you can't keep a straight face.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
at our range they have the bottom piece of a gradder blade to use as post for the wood back boards. one day there was one just sitting there so i set it up on the wide side. i had my 7mm with 140xlc's and sent one down range. it nocked the 5 foot piece of steel over but there was just a scuff mark on it.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
I know a guy that has some aluminum "clay" birds.

They look and feel like the real thing. A little touch up with flourecent orange paint now and then conceals the truth.

He has an old Remington trap that he uses for backyard competition. He likes to slip one of these in when someone is having a hot streak.

Three in a row really deflates the old ego.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote