THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    577NE 3" with Norma or Vihtavuori powder, anyone?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

577NE 3" with Norma or Vihtavuori powder, anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted
When I'm waiting for my Ruger No1 to be finish I try to collect some reloading data for it. It is hard to get american powder in Norway so I need Norma or Vihtavuori data. I will start with Wayne Doudna 750grs. hard cast bullests for fun shooting and Woodleigh 650/750grs SP for hunting Norwegian moose.

Anyone know have to use "toilet paper wads" or other types of wads?

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
Nobody, not even Diesel Dude??

With any other powder then?

[ 05-30-2003, 00:08: Message edited by: Tomjac@SluttStykke ]

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
VihtaVouri is very exspensive in Alaska, so I doubt diesel dude has tried it, especially since RL 15 is considered the powder for Nitro Express rounds, and commonly available up here.

I imagine that N 150 or N 550 should be about the correct burn rate, but haven't seen any data for their use.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tomjac
I would be very careful with wads and fillers. Do a search on "dacron, polyester, and foam fillers.
Vit N150 should work. If I remember correctly it is a little faster in some ctgs and a little slower than RL-15 in others.
The "formula" for RL-15 in Nirto Express ctgs is the grains of cordite times 1.19 equals the grains of RL-15.
So in a 577 3" 100gr of Cordite times 1.19 equals 119grains of RL-15.
I would start with 115grains of Rl-15 [or vit N150], and work up. Watch for pressure signs.
Use Federal 215 mag or what ever magnum primers you can get.
WARNING YOU MUST USE FILLER WITH THESE LOADS.

I have used 5 grains of dacron [polyester pillow stuffing] in my 450 No2 with excellent results. It will probably take about 8 grains or so in a 577 case.
I now use packing foam that I cut out with a 50BMG case. The foam should be slightly bigger around than your 577 case so the powder cannot get past it. No matter wich filler you use it should be compressed on top of the powder by the bullet when it is seated.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
quote:
VihtaVouri is very exspensive in Alaska, so I doubt diesel dude has tried it, especially since RL 15 is considered the powder for Nitro Express rounds, and commonly available up here.
In Norway the situation is visa verse, the VihtaVouri is the cheapest powder on the marked. We consider R15 similar to N140/N540 (Norma 203-B)(ref. VihtaVouri's own burn rate table. I start with 115grs. N140 and work it from there. Are the pressure sign the same as on rimless cartridge?

one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as it is singleshot, so you don't have to
regulate, why not use slower powders and fill
case to 90% plus. So much easier to do it that
way for picking the velocity you want.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don�t you just email Vihtavuori and ask what they�d suggest? A friend of mine has consulted them and always received help. Safer than doing guesswork.

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted Hide Post
cewe, after your post I did try Nammo. Janne Pohjoispaa replayed that he was unable to help me with some starting loads. Would Quickload help me determine some starting loads??

<hd352802>
posted
Tomjac, be carefull with Quickload:it is not allways dependable.
Somethimes remarcable accurate,in some instances totally wrong.
At the moment I am using N 550 in 375 H&H, 75,5 Grains and a 325 Grain RN gives me ~780 m/sec.
According to Quickload this would be an overpressured load, about 4800 bars, V 825 m/sec.
I have no sign of pressure and it is not a "kicker".
Take care using Quickload!
Hugh.