THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    How much velocity loss per inch of barrel length...??

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much velocity loss per inch of barrel length...??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TReX300
posted
I'm trying to get an accurate idea of how much velocity loss you get per inch of barrel length lost. My chronograph is away getting fixed and I'm working on some loads. The loads are for a .219 Zipper. I'm useing .224" 45 and 50 grn bullets and H380 for powder. My Marlins barrel is 20" and the data is all for a 27" barrel. I've heard everything from 30-100fps.

Thanks
Tim

Posts: 48 | Location: Essex, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
It depends on the cartridge and the rifle but you can usually figure 25-50 fps per inch.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
It depends on the cartridge and the rifle but you can usually figure 25-50 fps per inch.

Yep larger bore faster powder less reduction. More overbore slower powder greater loss because you need barrel to burn the powder.

Ran a zipper in Loadtech using a 40gr and the loss was 125-150 between a 27" and 20"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little help from our friends here at AR.
http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Anywhere between 18 to 55 or even a little more.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns