Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Factory Crimp and chamfering
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted
Just got some Lee factory crimp dies and was wondering about whether you still chamfer the inside of the neck when you are going to crimp?

Is there any trick to these Lee crimp dies or do it just like the instructions say - which is to put pressure on it until the splits in the collet close?

Without guns we are subjects, with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You still chamfer to allow the bullet to slide in easy.

Once the collets close all the way, you might have already gone too far. It's trial and error, looking at the bevel of the case mouth into the cannelure.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't chamfer handgun, (revolver loads), if I'm useing the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It's not necessary because the neck expander will remove any slight burr that might exist. If you chamfer your removing metal that otherwise would help in establishing a good firm crimp.I just loaded 500 8MM Mauser cases, and didn't chamfer them for the same reason. I seated the bullets in a RCBS Competition seater die and had no problem. billt

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I still chamfer to keep the brass from shaving off copper from the bullets. The Lee FCDs are real simple to use, you get the hang of it quickly. I screw the die in until it touches the shell holder and then go 1/2 turn more. Go more than a 1/2 turn if you want a tighter crimp. It's easy to follow the directions that Lee puts in the box w/ the dies.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote