New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Automatic Bench Priming tool
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just started using the RCBS automatic bench priming tool. Unit works great but I have noticed that it does NOT seat primers to the bottom of the primer cup. This is with both large and small primers. I can use my RCBS hand held primer and it will seat primers fully to the bottom of the cup. Anyone else experienced this problem? Suggestions? I've already tried different manufactures of shell holders, no help. RCBS no clue.

Posts: 28 | Location: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: 12 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
turn the case 90* and bump them again with firm even pressure.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very surprised to hear this.

We have been using this tool for so many years, never had this or any other problems at all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Mine works fine and I like being able to feel exactly what force is being put on the primer. Box it up along with some primed cases and send it to RCBS and see what they say.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Very good video of the RCBS auto priming tool in action. As you can see because the primer punch is cammed well up through the shell holder the primer without question has to be seated into the bottom of the primer pocket. In fact the video mentions that all primers were seated nicely below the case head. The only thing that could prevent this is the small spring on the priming rod or the primer holder sleeve itself being slightly too long and when the spring is compressed the primer rod cannot seat the primer deep enough i.e. the compressed spring is limiting the depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4nShKxk7Gs

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've found primer pocket crimp removal tool to resolve problems like what your seeing. Doing the crimp removal procedure on All brass, not just crimped, just plain eliminates any seating issues loaded on the 550b and sometimes with RCBS bench primer.

Posts: 10 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 01 July 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When I got mine I noticed what I thought was excessive play in the primer pivot feed and the handle. I took it apart and installed thin nylon shims which really tightened it up. While I had everything apart I lubed everything that slides or moves with tw25 grease. That included the sleeve and spring on the priming rams. The thing is tight & smooth now, works very well. It seems to work the best with RCBS shell holders. For primers not going in square on multiple shell holders I'd be suspicious of the machining where the shell holder snaps in. Measure it for square to the priming ram.

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote