THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Why would anyone use rl-7 rl-10x, rl-15, rl-17,rl-19 .......

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why would anyone use rl-7 rl-10x, rl-15, rl-17,rl-19 .......
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Another poster who we all love and admire, but shall remain nameless (as he avoids the limelight) has indicated that he got rid of all his Alliant Reloader powders. Seems it didn't meet his standards. Although I load more Hodgdon powder than Alliant, if anyone here wants to get rid of their Alliant powder in the reloader series from 7 to 25, Please PM me, maybe I can help you out.
Best
GWB

PS It works for me, but I'm just a rookie meat hunter.

PPS: All groups were shot out of factory stock rifles except the 7stw. I've lightend triggers, free floated barrels but that's it.
Here on the gulf coast, temps are usually between 80 & 100 degrees F and wind is usually 5 to 15 mph. Humidity is usually over 80%.
In other words I'm usually sweating like a politician telling the truth when load testing. To date if I take note of book max loads and use common sense I've never had problems with Alliant powders in re: temperature sensitivity.

A few groups might better illustrate my point........

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GW, I noticed some nice groups with the Nosler BT and AB's! tu2

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it gets to be too much for you to store,Let me take in your overflow.
It would be my pleasure to help. Big Grin

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the reloader series of powders. RL25 is one of the top performers in high capacity cartridges and RL19 is great in the 06 with 180's. The load for 308's is RL15. Will have to work with the chronograph and RL17 some more to form an opinion.

Blake

Posts: 132 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 22 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I'd be lost without them, especially Re-15 and Re-22. Have used 'em for years with zero issues, and, like you noted, the heat and humidity in this part of the world can be grueling.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too!! With any of the 4350´s my absolute three favorites and most useful powders!!

quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
I'd be lost without them, especially Re-15 and Re-22. Have used 'em for years with zero issues, and, like you noted, the heat and humidity in this part of the world can be grueling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where I live I'm right at the very far end of the supply chain plus my access to components is hampered by a range of gun laws designed to make gun ownership and reloading so difficult that we just give up on it. I only load for 308W and have rationalised on RL15 for all my loads as I was able to get a small supply (3lb) of it recently. Powder here is about $60 per pound.

The following 7 shot group (I had 7 rounds of the Sierra 165 grain gameking left with no prospect of getting any more Sierra bullets) was shot at 100m with a stock factory rifle. I used a bipod but no bags and the scope was a low light hunting scope with thick reticule. It is also the case that, being honest, I'm not a great shot so all the "enlargement" of the group must be down to me and not the load. You should note that after the third round I took the scope off the rifle, it is on QD mounts, and put it back on again.

I get similar results with 110 grain V-MAX and 150 grain Hornady Spire Points. It launches the Hornady Spire Points, my deer load, at approx 3000fps using a book load and with no signs of pressure and the cases reloaded about 7 times with tight primer seating.

So, you can say what you like about RL15 and I'm all for people having choice but I just can't see why I'd need another powder even if it was readily available to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i use RL-15 in my .260 rem, 7MM-08 & .308 win. with great accurace. and usr some 19 in the .280

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
...I'm just a rookie ...
I completely agree.

The following statement is in 100% compliance with the thought-police:
rotflmo animal rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
...I'm just a rookie ...

I completely agree.

fishing

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RL-7: Delivers excellent accuracy in a 222 and a 22BR.
RL-15: Cut my groups sizes in half with a 284 Win, from 3 shots into 3/4" at 100 yards, to 3 shots into 3/8" at 100. With 75 gn Hornady's in a 250AI, it is THE best powder, with 3 shots in 1/2" at 100.
RL-22: Best for a 25-06, along with 7828 and H-4831SC, with heavy bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not as sold on RL-powders as some are.

I asked around on a new build what powders work the best and was told that if velocity was wanted, to try RL-17. I did, got great velocity, tight groups weren't there.

My gunsmith bore scoped the rifle as well and asked me how many rounds were down the tube. When I told him, he couldn't believe that with such few rounds down the bore, that it showed so much wear on the lands and throat erosion. The lands were rounded at the throat; not sharp.

A discussion ensued about the RL-line of powders and the fact that they give better velocity. They are high energy powders and to achieve higher velocities there is a trade off.... wear and erosion.

I switched to good ole Winchester 760. Got great groups and only lost 100 fps. It's tough to beat powders like Hodgdon's line. They've been around a long time for a reason; they work.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Another vote for RL-15 & RL-22.

RL-22 seems to be the answer for any of my 300's.

Despite seeing ALL the recommendations for using RL-15 as THE .416 Rem. powder, I was stubborn and tried everything I had on hand first. After some frustration I finally tried RL-15 and it cut the groups way down for every bullet I tried. I wasted way to much time and too many bullets trying other powders.

In both the .416 Rem & .375 H&H it seemed much easier to work up soft and solid loads to the same POI with RL-15 than the many other powders I tried.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Count me in as a big fan of Re19,22,25. Success for me for 20 years. Until I see a reason not to use them, I'm keeping the stuff on the shelf.

If I parted with Re19, for example, I'd be ditching my best load ever in 2 rifles: 270/130 TSX, and 30.06/168 TTSX.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting the RL powders for years with absolutely no ill effects. RL-15 is my mainstay for .416 Rem, RL-17 is my new toy for my WSSM loads, RL-19 and RL-22 and RL-25 for everything. I shoot them from home too Alaska-Africa-Canada-Colorado from -22 in Canada to 100 degrees in Africa and they just keep trucking. Shoot correctly and you will have no problems with barrel erosion, meaning don't overheat the barrel with fast-large groups. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:

My gunsmith bore scoped the rifle as well and asked me how many rounds were down the tube. When I told him, he couldn't believe that with such few rounds down the bore, that it showed so much wear on the lands and throat erosion. The lands were rounded at the throat; not sharp.

that's why I keep exta barrels in the safe. Big Grin

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about you guys, but I have numerous rifles and am a low volume shooter. I'm reloading for something like 55 different center fire chamberings. I probaly kill 5 to 7 deer a year (we have exotics we can take any time of year), 20 to 50 hogs, dozen fox, half dozen coyotes, ravens, coons, etc. I typically pick out which rifles I'm going to hunt with and develop loads with different bullets and powders each year. Consequently some rifles don't get shot for a couple of years unless I'm load testing. I'm 58. Typically men in my family live to be 84 to 87 years old. So, say I put 25 rounds a year through a rifle each year,

Unless I become infirm, lose interest, or go nuts at the range, I should not put more than 750 rounds through any rifle I own, assuming I don't buy any thing new. How hot do you have to load a typical hunting round to burn up a barrel in under a thousand rounds. Like I said, I'm a hodgdon guy, but I don't mind taking my chances with Alliant powders. So my offer still stands, If you're worried about using Alliant powders, sent them to me, I might even be tempted to pay shipping if you invite me to hunt with you using the reloads from your powder.
GWB

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I'll take any RL powders anyone wants to get rid of

These loads work in my rifles, start lower and work up in yours.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn it WOODS!!!!!! You beat me to it. I love RL25 especially. 10 works great for 6.8spc and while I prefer Varget 15 is next in line.

I have some 17 but havent had enough time to play...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot by Geedubya:

I think this is outstanding! Very nicely done...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use r15 in my 223. I have used it in 308,22-250,303,257rbts. All with excellent results. When I get a new caliber the first thing I do is check and see if there is a r15 load workup for it.

this was shot at 100yds with a rossi single shot believe it or not.

Posts: 3 | Location: new york | Registered: 04 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some stellar groups you guys are shooting.tu2
I'd say off hand that RL powders do deliver great accuracy.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Good powders. I use RL-15, RL-19, RL-22 in a lot of my rifles and Unique and 2400 in my handguns. tu2

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far i've only used RL22 but it cut my 6.5x55 groups from 1.5 with factory ammo to .825 with TTSX. Seems great to me.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you're worried about using Alliant powders, sent them to me, I might even be tempted to pay shipping if you invite me to hunt with you using the reloads from your powder.

Geedubya, you drive a hard bargain! Wink
I use them all, with R15 and 19 my favorites.
I have 4 or 5 pounds of the old Norma 205 I'll have to try in my 6.5 gibbs sometime. it likes R22, so would be interesting how the powder it replaced performs.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Love that RL-7 in a .223

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll take ALL the RL 7, 10, 12, 15, 17. 19 and 25 that folks want to give up...

( left out Rl 22 on purpose!)

like Teancum, Rl 7 is great in the 223, especially with bullet weights of 50 grains down to 30 grains...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
RL-15 is my #1 go-to powder for medium cases.

300 Savage
303 British
7.62x54R

RL-25 works good in my 300 Weatherby with 200gr SMK

I can't imagine trying to load all that ammo with a bunch of different powders.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno about "his standards" but Rldr-22 sure works for me in my .270 Win. and .338 mag. with 225 gr. NorthForks. I'll take what he doesn't want.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only two niches,in which Re-series isn't King.

223AI and 22K-Hornet.