THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    RCBS Competition Seating die in .204 problem HELP!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Competition Seating die in .204 problem HELP!
 Login/Join

posted
Alright folks I've got a problem. I bought a RCBS Competition Seating die in .204. I'm loading a batch of rounds for a p dog trip in a few weeks. I'm loading 39 g Blitzkings on Win brass on a Rock Chucker Supreme. The problem is this. I'm trying to load to 2.375 which is what works best for me. I indexed off a loaded round and dialed down the die. I get inconsistent seating depths on inital pulls. The depths are all over the place. However once the die kisses the bullet on one pull I can mic it and dial in the exact difference on the second pull to get to 2.375 and it's dead on every time. I can never get it to hit right on the first pull. I checked with a couple guys around here that have been loading for years and they didn't have any idea but to call RCBS.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
How are you measuring the 2.375? Are you talking about overall length?
If so you need to be measuring off the ogive preferably the exact ring that contacts the seating punch. The very tip of a bullet especially one with a plastic tip can vary all over the place. Sinclair make a nut that is good for that measurement and the Hornady tool is even better.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
2.375 is OAL. Also tried with a bullet comparator (don't remember the measurement). Results were the same.