New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best care for Dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the best way to clean and store dies between use? How do I polish the sizing button?

Posts: 34 | Location: Kirksville, MO | Registered: 17 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Treat your dies like you treat the bore of your rifles.

your sizing button can be chucked in a lathe, drill press or electric drill and spun on some 600 grit sand paper using oil as a lubricant. Crocus cloth also works well. Bob

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Rust>
posted
Keep your dies boxed whan not in use. Get some of those paper squares (from Midway or a local industrial supplier) impregnated with Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor (VCI) to put in the box.

I have dies I don't use often and every little bit helps.

<PowderBurns>
posted
Treat them like the finish on a blued gun. Keep the fingerprints off the surfaces, store in a heated, dry area. (Out in the garage won't make it.) I coat of oil on the surfaces inhibits corrosion.

I use Tripoli on a cotton wheel to polish the neck sizing button. This polishes without changing the dimensions any measurable amount.

------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loading Forum:

www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=powderburns

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
What is the best rust prohibitor to put on dies?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68614 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thank you Saeed.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep dies clean to prevent scratching of the sizer.

Keep your brass clean to protect your sizer and expanders

My dies are in an air conditioned part of the house to control the humidity.
They are stored in the RCBS or equivalent die boxes.

I use Birchwood Casey Barricade with a short spray wand to keep rust off of the inside and outside of my dies.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
WOW 13 YEARS OLD

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used SC rust prevent and it did nothing to protect my dies or any metal I used it on.It is really cold and humid where I keep my stuff and nothing really works excepty moving the stuff to a warm, dry and insulated room then applying oil-any oil.As far as dies go-I swithched over to stainless dies for my 308 and that solved the problem.If I have no other choice but to keep them in that cold humid place the only thing that will work is grease unless you apply oil and reapply constantly without forgetting.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
WOW 13 YEARS OLD

I just clean them with Hoppes #9, degrease with Powder Blaster spray rinse, then wipe them down inside and out with "Break-Free CLP" and store them in the plastic box, shelved in an air-conditioned room.
No rust problems here for the last 13 years.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Break Free Collector really works well for storage. Just a little wipe and there is no rust . I tried this on a tip from Sinclair on the Wilson gauges and trimmer case holders that are just 4140 . I also put those little Rust chips in the box and there is never any tarnish or rust at all.

But if you do put way too much on or apply heavily, then you may have to clean the dies some before use with some Shooters Choice or other cleaning compound .

All my Redding dies aren't prone to any rust anyway . But those Wilson pieces are and after using it mine are still looking new . I showed it to some guys in the machine shop and they tried it and they use it on a lot of their tool storage now too.

Collector

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...-gun-oil-4-oz-liquid

Rust Chips

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...-chips-package-of-50

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Break-Free Collector. Gotta get some of that.
Thanks for the tip. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because I use a water based lube, always have, I clean my dies inside surfaces by removing the decapping stem and flushing with very hot water with a little degreaser added, allow to dry from it's own heat, wipe the inside with a dry rag then swab with WD-40. I oil the threads on the decapping stem and reinstall, the outside gets a light spray of WD-40 as well and I keep my dies in their factory boxes.
Fortunately, I do not have the problem of excessive body salts, I can touch metal objects without worrying about getting rusty fingerprints everywhere, unlike a few buddies that need an oily rag to wipe off their salty palm prints only after a few minutes of them touching anything.

Cheers.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use CLP on everything because it is the approved U. S. Army Cleaner, Lube, and Preservative. I don't have salt hands either so I can touch steel and it won't rust. I don't put much time into maintaining dies; maybe clean every 500 rounds or so; most I have are 30 plus years old and still work fine.

Posts: 17264 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
WOW 13 YEARS OLD

I enjoy history. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use methyl chlorate on them... otherwise known as mothballs. Drop one in each die box and replace it when it is gone.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a couple of bottles of mil.comm oil.I will use some on a rag to wipe down my barrels.Looking at the video it seems like it works well as a rust preventative.I would try some of the wd-40ltci but I doubt it is yet available in Canada.