New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virgin Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just purchased some Winchester Virgin Brass 30-06 came in original box from Winchester with primers installed. According to the paperwork(card) that was in box Winchester says could if you want FL size, but only needs to deburr?camfer before reloading. I measured case they are exact correct for loading in comparison to my once fired ones. My main concern is, since the card did not say, are these magnum or standard primers? Does anyone know? Or if unknown what would be the safest load to use?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: caseyville, IL | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In a 30-06 I would imagine they are standard primers.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68796 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, as Saeed said, they are Winchester LR standard primers. Safest load is one that you work up to; just as usual.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great thanks for replies. I wanted to be sure and not load for magnum or visa versa.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: caseyville, IL | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would it not be best to run these cases through a sizing die first, even if it means depriming ? I do this with any virgin brass, mainly to ensure even neck tension to hold the seated projectile. New brass does not always have consistent neck dimensions and can be somewhat open with little "hold". Just my experience anyway for what it's worth.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2091 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back the decapper shaft back or pull the depriming pin off the expander and resize them if you are worried. That way you can use the primers (if that is your plan).

Posts: 66 | Location: Port Crane, NY | Registered: 11 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shine a light down in every case to make sure the firing hole has been punched in.

I've found 2-6 cases per 50 rnd bag not punched with Win brass. Almost every bag has at least one.

They run 'em thru automatic machines and such things can still get thru.

Chamber check them once before heading out too. Nothing more irritating than getting to the range or hunt and find out your ammo won't fit your chamber.

I've seen it happen!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to neck size virgin brass to assure that the necks are round and the neck tension even. If using a FL die back it off of the shellholder about .10" and remove the decapping pin. I also lightly chamfer the inside (and outside, if necessary) of the mouth to assure smooth bullet seating.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I like to neck size virgin brass to assure that the necks are round and the neck tension even. If using a FL die back it off of the shellholder about .10" and remove the decapping pin. I also lightly chamfer the inside (and outside, if necessary) of the mouth to assure smooth bullet seating.
+1

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All good advise, I always buy brass without primers and use Fed 210 and 215s.

Ive never found a case with no fire hole, good to know, I will sure start checking..I suppose if you fired one it would just pop and not be dangerous. Might have to clean the bolt face or whatever.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
On Virgin brass I use a primer pocket uniformer. Then I use a neck expander die and then trim the outside of the case necks.Then I debur the outside then the inside of the neck.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I would load them and shoot them all, then after once firing go through all the gymnastics or whatever your normal brass prep procedures are.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote