New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Bal Tip bullets
 Login/Join

<Greg Y>
posted
Would like to hear your comments on the Nosler Bal Tip bullet for accuracy and for hunting applications. I have loaded quite a few in the last few years and have been pleased with them. Thanks. GREG

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 180 gr, 30 cal BT. The bullet works well on smaller animals; however, it did not work well on large African plains game. I find them to be extremely accurate. I understand that their larger caliber BTs, 9.3MM for example, are tougher. Ku-dude

<Greg Y>
posted
Ku-Dude. I used the 180 gr Bal tip(300 Weath Mag) on antelope,in W.TX, and shot one at a laser-ranged 466 yds. Entered the front left shoulder, traveled full-body length and recovered PERFECTLY mushroomed bullet under the hide on the right rear ham. They shoot extremely accurate out of my 300!!!GREG

<jw8shot>
posted
I have a 300 wby and have been using 180 BT also. What has been your most consistant and accurate load?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot them in everything from a 22 Hornet up to a .308. And I would shoot them in my 45-70 if Nosler made one. Accuracy is not as good as when shooting custom bullets in my varmit rigs but plenty good for crows and chucks. Never had one fail on large game, all one shot kills when using them in my .308. In my opinion, for the money they are hard to beat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of them in my 243 and 6.5x55. They have proved accurate, reliable in expansion and if kept at medium velocities acceptable in the meat department which doesn't overly concern me anyway.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a Ballistic Tip fan. I load 200 gr in 338 WM, 165 gr in 30-06, 95 grain in 243 Win, and 40 gr in 223. Just got some 260gr for 375 H&H, but haven't loaded any yet. The 95 and 165 grainers have accounted for whitetails and coyotes, and the 200 gr has taken several whitetail. My girlfriend has taken three deer with 140 gr in 7-08. They work great as long as you don't launch them too fast, and they generally shoot very accurately. I did switch to the 250 gr Speer Grand Slam in the 338 WM when I went for Elk.

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
I use the 140's in my 7mm-08. Literally shoot one hole groups at 100 yds.

I also shoot the 70's in my 6mm. Absolutely devastating on groundhogs.

<KentuckyFisherman>
posted
Ever since Nosler cut their hunting bullets from 100 to 50 per box and raised prices at the same time, I've been looking for a different target/hunting bullet for my .30-06. I've found some good ones, but I keep coming back to the BTs. It kills me to do that, but that's the way it is.

My standard 06 deer load for 12-15 years has been the Nosler 165BT over 50gr of IMR4064 or 56gr of IMR4350. I've killed at least 20 deer with the 165BT, most at less than 50 yards, and I've only had it fail me once. In that failure, the deer fell, but it took two more rounds to kill him. I didn't do a careful autopsy, but my assumption is that the first round hit bone and "splashed" rather than penetrating properly. Can't truly blame that one on the bullet. Most of the time if you make a proper chest shot on a whitetail, the 165BT will do way more than enough damage.

As for accuracy, in tests I've set up the BT has held its own against every match bullet I've tried, at least inside of 200 yards. Now this was in a fairly stock Remington 78; results might be different in a BR gun.

<Greg Y>
posted
JW8shot. My 300 Weath Mag likes the 180 gr Bal Tip with 79 grs of H4831. I have shot a couple of deer over 300 yds and one antelope over 400 yds with it. They all were instant kills. GREG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I use the BT's but I haven't found them to work too well on game. Bullet splash and premature breakup were common. Now this was a few years ago, and I've heard that Nosler has improved things. These were 165's in 30-06's at 2850 fps. Used on mulies (300-400 pounds). After the mule experience, we relegated them to targets and coyotes and went with partitions/X's/heavier bullets for larger game. They sure shot well, though. I've picked up some of the Hornady SST's to try this year. Hopefully the benefits of the BT's with a slightly thicker jacket. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Greg Y>
posted
Dan. Early editions of the Bal Tip did not perform well. Nosler has worked on that and they do seem better. I have shot antelope and Texas whitetails with some the last few years. I still load partitions for Mexico and Midwest whitetails and same for muleys and elk. The Bal Tip is very accurate and does well in the right applications. With so many good hunting bullets available today, I agree it is hard to take a chance with them , especially if you are trophy hunting. GREG

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the late 80s I tried the 165gr BT in 30cal this bullet fragmented on a whitetail does' rib at 35 yds. The same deer ran past my wife, with her .44 carbine. This usually means a dead deer so I was able to disect the wound area. only a small fragment broke through the rib. Everything else was between the rib and hide. I have heard rumblings that the projectile is now stronger. I am getting a new 338-06 barrel and am considering using them but I have reservations. I may see animals from point blank to 350 yds.

Good Luck

Posts: 46 | Location: Maine US | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Greg,
my experiences with bt's have all been bad. to explosive and to much meat damage, and twice the price!
1894 has it bang on! "don't shoot-em fast"
the bigger calibers seem to be less prone to fragmentation.

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken over 25 big game animals including deer,antelope and bighorn with my 7mmstw using 140 gr ballistic tips at 3500 fps.I have taken two bull elk and two bull moose with my 300 ultramag and 180 gr ballistic tips at just under 3400 fps.I have never experienced a bullet failiure and have never had to track any of these animals as most dropped on the spot and the few that didn't dropped within a very short distance.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used them in about every rifle I own and have always been happy with them. Even used the 180gr in a 30-06 on three bull elk. I knew I needed good shots (broadside) with them and they worked very well. Only one that didn't exit was a neck shot bull and the bullet wrecked the spine but did not exit. Also used the 200gr .338 in a 338 Win Mag a few years ago on a 200lb whitetail (dressed). Took him quartering to me on the point of the shoulder and recovered the bullet on the far side in the rear quarter. Showed perfect expansion and no separation while blowing a 4" hole through the shoulder joint and penatrating the paunch. My impression on that bullet is that it would be a fine elk round at 3000fps. The thicker base seemed to stop expansion in just the right place and I've never seen a deer drop so fast (it WAS only 30 yards). Look forward to trying the 260 gr in my 375.

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1182 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
<KING>
posted
maybe nosler should consider making an (my preference) an 8mm 190gr ballistic tip partition boattail. I know it's a dream but! Oh well! Nosler make it work these would be excellent. Oh by the way try the experiment with the 8mm 190BTPar. at about 2550fps to 3000fps?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Nosler bullet I've tried in 8mm has been the 200 gr Partition. In my 8 mag (26" barrel) I can get 3100 fps out of it and it works very well. In a 8mm-06 AI I get 2800 fps and it works good at those velocities as well. So I guess that your experimental bullet of 190 gr would be alright at these speeds. I've heard, here and elsewhere, that Nosler has toughened up the BT's, so I think I'll buy a new box and give them a try. FWIW when I loaded them in slower cartridges (308,7-08,6.5 x 55) they worked fine. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
There is a big difference in bullet performance between short and long range. I just tested two more bullets fired into water filled cartons at 20' and even the Nosler Partition did not look very good.

The bullets:
180 gr Nosler Partition Protected Pt. .300 H&H mag Federal Factory load. Retained weight 113 gr!, diameter .600", penetrated 9 cartons.
180 gr. Silvertip. .300 H&H WW factory load. Retained weight 132.5 gr, diameter .800", pentrated 6 cartons.

My conclusions: For deer sized game the Sivertip is by far the best choice of the two at any range. I would not want to face a Brown bear or a Lion with a .300 mag and Nosler 180 gr Partitions. For heavy game at short range a copper bullet (X-type) that did not foul the bore, grouped, loose it's petals or cause high pressures would be far superior.
And for all around use the Remington Corelokt (or similar bullet) is by far the best deal.