Tools

22/250 AI
 Login/Join

<Dick>
posted
New gift- need advice on loads for this cartridge, On a Rem. 700 BDL. Thankx

<Big Stick>
posted
Start with bottom end Swift data and work up. The 22-250Ackley is of a smidge larger capacity than the Swift............

one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll need to forgive my ignorance but what's the difference between a .22-250 and the .22-250 AI.

thanks

Posts: 31 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AI: Ackley Improved. It's a blown out case with minimum taper and sharp shoulder angles.

You could probably add a grain (possibly two) to the overall starting and max loads for the 22-250 and be in good shape. For safety you could start with the basic 22-250 loading info and move up from there at your own pace/pleasure/tolerance for adventure.

Good Luck

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ricciardelli,

I finally clicked past the disclaimer page and found that site very informative. I clicked on a few calibers and the loads seemed to run the range that I've seen (starter to max). For example, the 308 Norma max load for H-4831 appears to be close to the Lyman loading books max load which I consider smoking hot.

I was curious where most of the loading info came from? Sorry if it's explained within the website but I take brief trips out to the internet while at work and couldn't spend too much time.

Thanks in advance.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have good luck with IMR 4895 in my 22-250AI and 50gr. bullets.

Posts: 97 | Location: Mo. | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed:
ricciardelli,

I finally clicked past the disclaimer page and found that site very informative. I clicked on a few calibers and the loads seemed to run the range that I've seen (starter to max). For example, the 308 Norma max load for H-4831 appears to be close to the Lyman loading books max load which I consider smoking hot.

I was curious where most of the loading info came from? Sorry if it's explained within the website but I take brief trips out to the internet while at work and couldn't spend too much time.

Thanks in advance.

Reed

The data is developed by me, at the range.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dick, That was one of my favorite coyote calling fur cartridges ever. I used a Ruger 77 action, MPI stock, Douglas spoorter barrel, and Tasco World Class Plus 3.5-10X that had been customized by T.K. Lee with 3 dots along the vertical x-hair that corresponded to the trajectory of one of my favorite fur loads of all time-- The 40 gr. Nosler BT. @ 4350fps behind ?gr. 4064. I turned the lights out on several hundred coyotes with that rig/load for several years before the throat gave out.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Dick>
posted
Thankx-
I really didn't expect this much data. The more the merrier. Please keep the information coming.
thankx again,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy Dick,

I shoot a 22-250AI. I only use two bullest, the 60vmax loaded with 40 grains of H380 and the 75 grain amax loaded with 42 grains of RL 19. Both loads are max so approach with caution.

I have a 26 inch barrel with a 1-9 twist.

Hope this helps.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 40X single shot 22/250 AI. Best shooting gun I ever had. If you want top velocity and in my case accuracy, try H414 powder. H414 and Nosler 55 grain bullets were the 1/4" favorites. I'll look up some old data for you and post it when I get home. I was able to actually shoot some old Hornady 45 grainers so fast that the bullets desintegrated in the air. It was fun to play with and absolute poison for groundhogs and crows.
A really nice caliber.