New
Find
Notify
Tools

7828 vs. 7828ssc
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found a few pounds of 7828ssc which I've ordered (can't find regular in stock). My current load uses regular 7828 and I've got about two pounds left from about 2002. Since I'm changing from Partitions to A-Frames I figured I'd give ssc a shot. From my reading, it looks like the same data applies and it should be treated like a different lot of powder and I need to back off a little from my max load.

I'm looking for anybody's experience in differences between the two. Has anyone got experience with the two side by side?

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with either however everything I've read sez WEIGHT for WEIGHT they are equal.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of moved2ski
posted Hide Post
I have found them to shoot the same.

Posts: 51 | Location: Las Vegas via Nebraska | Registered: 19 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both good powders you get little better load density with IMR-7828ssc.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot many rounds with both, always used the same load and got same results. I was so pleased I got two 8 pound containers (same lot) of the SSC and have enough excellent powder to last a long time. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used them side by side and they were the same. I like the ssc as it has a better load density and I can get more in the case easier Smiler

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They will not be "the same" since any two lots of any powder can be different. Start a grain or two lower whenever changing lots - or these two powders - if you load up near the top end. Just saying....

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I'm the odd man here. I use 7828 in my 30-06 AI. Accuracy is outstanding with 180gr Partitions.

My load is heavily compressed. Because of this I bought a pound of SSC to see if it reduced some of the compression. It did, but it also shoots like shit. Burned up the whole pound and never did get an acceptable load. Switched back the 7828 and all is well. YMMV

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve4102:
Well I guess I'm the odd man here. I use 7828 in my 30-06 AI. Accuracy is outstanding with 180gr Partitions.

My load is heavily compressed. Because of this I bought a pound of SSC to see if it reduced some of the compression. It did, but it also shoots like shit. Burned up the whole pound and never did get an acceptable load. Switched back the 7828 and all is well. YMMV

The difference may not be so much in the powders but in the compression. Compressing a powder tends to give you more consistent ignition and velocities, particularly when the powder is on the slow side compared to the capacity of the case, as it would be with the .30-06 AI and 7828. The uncompressed 7828 might give you less consistent ignition, wider variation in pressure and velocity, and therefore less consistent accuracy.

If the cartridge had been, say, a .300 Winchester, then you might have noticed no difference.

Just goes to show that changing any component, even theoretically equivalent ones, can alter the performance of a load.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point on the compression. I don't recall how compressed my .264 is with regular 7828. I'll have to take another look. That could certainly make a difference though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parshal:
Good point on the compression. I don't recall how compressed my .264 is with regular 7828. I'll have to take another look. That could certainly make a difference though.

IMR 7828, despite being a relatively slow powder, is still on the "fast" side for the .264 WM. Unless you are shooting a very light-for-caliber bullet then a maximum charge of IMR-7828 in either regular or SSC won't fill the case enough to be compressed.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a 140 gr bullet with 64 grains.