THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is The Best Barrel Break-In Process?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is your method of breaking in a new barrel? I will be breaking in a new Rem. Sendero in .25-06.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shark Bait:
What is your method of breaking in a new barrel? I will be breaking in a new Rem. Sendero in .25-06.

//There are many opinions as to the break in procedure...with copper bullets I follow the Berger/Sinclair type with clean bbl/shoot one 5 times w/cleaning after shot....shoot 2 five times...cleaning after each pair.....shoot 3 five times...cleaning after each three.....if the copper is not building up then you can stop....if still streaking then go the 4x5 and 5x5....using JB Bore paste or similar to super clean the barrel and shooters choice and some use brushs and some just mops and good jag/properly sized double napp cotton patchs and good rod with good bore guide...if cleaning from the chamber....there are other similar methods and let the smoothness of the barrel determine when you stop the routine and if you use the JB/USP or similar abrasive type cleaner.....good luck and good shooting with a good smooth barrel......you can do fireforming at the same time as shooting the warm/not max loads to break in the barrel...also with a hot cart. like 25-06 give the barrel extra cool down time.....

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd surf around custom barrel makers sites and see what they recommend. Most seem to have a preferred method.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Poppy09>
posted
I must agree with Big Daddy ( and with a handle like that who wouldn't) that the Sinclair/Gravatt method is certainly top shelf. If you don't have their 10th edition reloading and shooting handbook, get it. It's incredible. Nuff said.... GIG'EM AGS.....Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shark Bait,
Here's Shilen's recs for their new barrel break-in:
"How should I break-in my new Shilen barrel?

Break-in procedures are as diverse as cleaning techniques. Shilen, Inc. introduced a break-in procedure mostly because customers seemed to think that we should have one. By and large, we don't think breaking-in a new barrel is a big deal. All our stainless steel barrels have been hand lapped as part of their production, as well as any chrome moly barrel we install. Hand lapping a barrel polishes the interior of the barrel and eliminates sharp edges or burrs that could cause jacket deformity. This, in fact, is what you are doing when you break-in a new barrel through firing and cleaning. Here is our standard recommendation:

Clean after each shot for the first 5 shots. The remainder of the break-in is to clean every 5 shots for the next 50 shots.

During this time, don't just shoot bullets down the barrel during this 50 shot procedure. This is a great time to begin load development. Zero the scope over the first 5 shots, and start shooting for accuracy with 5-shot groups for the next 50 shots. Same thing applies to fire forming cases for improved or wildcat cartridges. Just firing rounds down a barrel to form brass without any regard to their accuracy is a mistake. It is a waste of time and barrel life."

Here's their FAQ section. Has some good info:
http://www.shilen.com/frequent.htm#How%20should%20I%20break-in%20my%20new%20Shilen%20barrel?

Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Krieger site....it isn't the barrel you are breaking in so much but rather the throat. A cutting or forming in a barrel is mostly "down the barrel" while cutting the chamber is basically perpendicular to the barrel. It is this interface that you are mostly "breaking in".

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill, I found a Krieger site (http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/index.shtml), but didn't see any info about breaking in barrels. Is there a different site or might the info have been on a older version of this site? Gary T.

[ 06-13-2002, 07:23: Message edited by: Gary T ]

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Y'all! Sounds like I need to be prepared to spend alot of time at this. Well at least it will be worth it in the end.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barrel break in seems to be surrounded by a lot of witchcraft and juju. I shoot high power competition and go thru about 4000 rounds a year, at that pace barrels are a throw away item like tires. I have done both the shoot 1 and clean and the just go out and shoot it at the advice of one of the countries best competition gunsmiths and have come to the conclusion that if its a good barrel it doensn't need it and if its a rough factory barrel it won't help much, sort of like Moly,but lets not bring that topic up.

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
Kevin, I'm with you. It didn't take me long to realize what a waste of time this barrel break-in nonsense is. My advise: Thoroughly clean the barrel before firing a round through it for the first time and then do a thorough cleaning every 20 rounds or so. I'd have to say the rifles I didn't "break in" are my most accurate ones.