New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working up my new .300 Rum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Remington 700P in 300 rum. This is a new "from the factory" rifle with an orphaned Elite 3200 5-15x 50mm scope.

Yesterday;

RETUMBO:
I started with 3 round sets using Rem brass, CCI MRP, Retumbo, and 200 gr SMK's.
I ran from 85 to 90 gr in 1 gr increments. I found a very nice node at 89 gr running 2930 on my chrono.
90 grains produced 2990.

PLAN: Proceed from 90 to MAX in 1 grain increments with 3 round sets looking for another node.

SR-4759:
I loaded Rem brass, CCI Standard Primer, SR-4759, and a 168 gr AMAX at 25.5 gr. This chronographed at 1960 and off my bi-pod was VERY pleasant. Definitely NOT a node point, but, I believe a good starting point for some non barral burners. Grouped about 2.5 inches at 100. PLAN: Proceed Up to MAX in 3 shot groups looking for Nodes and velocities.

Thanks rc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I started with 3 round sets using Rem brass, CCI MRP, Retumbo, and 200 gr SMK's.
I ran from 85 to 90 gr in 1 gr increments. I found a very nice node at 89 gr running 2930 on my chrono.
90 grains produced 2990.

PLAN: Proceed from 90 to MAX in 1 grain increments with 3 round sets looking for another node.

RC, welcome to AR. You will find lots of good people with lots of knowledge here.

Let me first say I know nothing about the 300 RUM. How good was the node at 89? And how much further can you go with the powder charges? I ask because you may not really gain much by going up. If 89 seems to be the sweet spot and more or less didn't really make a difference, you may have to go way, like beyond max, to find another spot. Speed is great but accuracy better. The 200 gr MK ought to have a pretty good BC that doesn't need every last bit of velocity.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
My 300 Rums worked great with 92gr of Reloader 25 or 95 gr of Retumbo behind the 200 gr Accubond.
Are you looking for a target load with that 200 MK?

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LWD, the node at 89 put 3 into virtually the same hole at 100 (no wind and heavy air that day). I was shooting 3 shot test loads over my old ohler 35 with an 8 ft bar with the start set at 10 feet from the muzzle. I am going to run from 90 up to max because there may be another node up in the more traditional (high) ranges available. I have heard that there should be a node at about 92 and another at about 95 grains. This goes along with what POP put in his post. POP, I am working target loads first, to determine what I and the gun can do "at best". Next to my Match Kings and AMAX's I have a box of Game Kings and a box of Berger VLD Hunting in 210 grain. I target shoot till hunting season, then I hunt. Then I target shoot again. I enter NRA matches, local shoots etc, anything to get access to longer ranges and see new shooting stuff. I don't ever win, I just get to shoot. The ranges I want to shoot for the RUM will be 600 800 1000 and long range. I want to try to run the technical balistics of the gun, the cartrige, and the glass. For me, this is fun.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
+1 for RL25 although I'm shooting 180gr Barnes. Gave me great vel and sub MOA so I quit looking for anything better. Good luck!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good result but I do understand wanting more velocity. Could you use the Bergers for both hunting and target shooting and not need to switch back and forth?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
POP and Blacktailer: RL25 will be the next powder I work up. It has a great reputation.

LWD, I hate to waste good hunting bullets on paper. NP's, A-Frames, Barnes-X are my tough bullets, but they are not ($$) for targets (to me). I work them for accuracy only after I have determined a good working range for the gun and have selected the load that I want for my hunt.

With a good load plan and my chronograph and the bullet selected, I can generally confirm my final load within 2 or 3 test groups. Then, I load what I need, make a final test, pack and go...

In my opinion, there are hunting bullets that shoot as well as target bullets. Some of the Barnes, the AB's, and now the Berger hunting bullets (I will try them this year) will shoot better than I can. I just save my hunting bullets for hunting. (I paper 100 target bullets for every 10 hunting bullets).

thanks rc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been told there is a sweet spot around 95g with the 200g NAB, but I have yet to explore it. The Sako I have--and this info was from--does have a 1 in 11 twist barrel instead of the more common 1 in 10, which may have helped it shoot best near max with these long bullets.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan H: +1 on the 200 NAB. I am going to load the 200 AB's next (right now working the 200 SMK's) I will shoot the SMK's through max this weekend. I may go ahead and set up the NAB's at 89.0 (had a nice node with the SMK's) through 95 as well. (NOTE: I am not an iron man, I own a Cauldwell Lead Sled. I can run tests all day long only stopping to clean and/or cool)

all:
I am switching to necksizing only (at least as long as they will chamber). Any issues? thanks rc