Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .44 Mag - Hard Cast or JHP?
 Login/Join

posted
Lately I have been using Noslers 250gr. Partition bullet in my 44 mag with excellent results. Nice expansion with that penetration of a cast bullet.

Posts: 37 | Location: Evanston, IL | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
To get back to your question I think a nice cast bullet (NOT necessarily "Hard Cast") of 200-250 grains sized to 0.431" sitting in front of a stack of WW231 or Unique, or even as low as 17.5 grains of 2400 will fill your bill for most of the shooting. 428215 is great IF it will shoot out of your gun for plinking and playing and can be pushed if need be. Something just a little hoter would be 240-255 cast in front of AA#5, AA#7, HS7 or some such. I would also have a load of say AA#9, 20 grains plus of "new" 2400, WW296 or H110 pushing the heavier bullet when protection was really my concern.

Contrary to modern "wisdom" I have had an issue with leading in a 44 one time . . . relatively mild loads with a VERY "hard cast" commercial bullet.

All that blathering on to say 8.5 grains of Unique behind a cast bullet!

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Been shopping for a 4" S&W Mod. 629, for back up & recreational purposes. Finally found a good one, & have it incoming for next week.

Although I realize that a longer barrel would be optimal for ballistic & accuracy reasons, I'm pretty much stuck on 4".

Wondering if anyone has worked up an accurate, efficient load for or hard cast or JHP projectiles w/ this platform? I'm really looking for something that is better then .44 Special velocity, but something a bit less then "full house".

Any input based on short barrel magnum experience, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

====================================================

Getting back to your original question for a moment what I load for big bore handguns is 9.5 grs of Unique in a 7.5" barreled Blackhawk .45 Colt. The Saeco 250 gr plain base is used cast from linotype. The velocity of this load is about 1000 fps.

In a .44 Special's 7.5" barrel I load 7.0 to 7.4 grs of WW 231 under 240 commercial cast bullets. Neither of these loads lead much and are pleasant to shoot.

I don't prefer the maximum loads in these calibers. On the other hand we don't have very large dangerous game here. The flat wide meplat on that Saeco bullet is very effective I can tell you that.

Years ago I tried to make the 357 Magnum keep up with the big bores and it really hurts the ears and does not perform as well other wise. I had a bunch of those guns and today I don't like the cartridge for woods roaming.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote