New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 mag RL22 under a Barnes 140 TSX
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently loaded 70 grns of RL22 under a 140 Barnes TSX They shot very well. I recently uped the load to 72 grns to gain a little more velocity. I have not fired these yet. I am a little concerned of the pressure. Barnes claims the TSX has reduced pressures due to the grooves cut into it

Anyone done this load?
-Bukmstr-

Posts: 25 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What velocity were you getting with 70gr?The standard x-bullets actually produced more pressure than most other bullets so the tsx should produce less pressure than the standard x bullets but similar pressures to most other bullets.In any case 2 grains is a farly large step to make when approaching maximum loads and your loads are certainly approaching maximum.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
100 fps wont make any difference in killing power...

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I'd want to take it slow if I were you 2 grain is a big jump. Considering 67-69 gr is a max load in most rifles.If you must try to get more out of it go only .5 grains at a time. However you are probably over max now so be happy with what you have.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bukmatr,

I ran a Quickload simulation on your charge:

70 grains RL-22 140 grain Barnes TSX = 3230 FPS @63,545 PSI

72 grains RL-22 140 grain barnes TSX = 3321 FPS @69,723 PSI

The 7mm Mag is 62,366 PSI MAX so both are over. The 72 grain load is well over MAX.

Quickload lists 69.5 RL-22 as max. Quickload is only a simulation, but you may be pushing it.

Regards,

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote