New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 reloading
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i was reading cartridges of the world last pm and in the .243 write up there was an editors note that indicated that hand loading the .243 winchester could present some challenges. any one care to comment? thanks in advance tom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
None that I've encountered. My .243 was pretty picky about what it would shoot well, but I've encountered nothing unique to the .243. Maybe they were referring to the problem of developing a good load that works for both varmints and game animals? For a multi-use or dual-purpose cartridge, there aren't many bullets that work for both.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember some nasty press a while back about "pressure peaks" and what not. I believe the article was penned by someone who had an axe to grind and didn't like the 243. Besides, they probably selected less than an ideal combination of bullet weight and propellent for their trials. I don't reload much 243 and I've found nothing difficult about it either, but I'm a 6m/m Remington fan too!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like the old wives tales that it's hard to work up a load for a .
270 Win. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
sounds like the old wives tales that it's hard to work up a load for a .
270 Win. Roll Eyes

Yep, I gotta agree.

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know about the 270 thing soon, but the 243 was one of my first and it was easy. I did have my grandfather's load to work ferom.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have an old factory MKX barreled action 243 that has been in about 5 different stocks. Never had any issue finding a load for any bullet I wanted to try.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I've only had 2 243's, but didn't have any issues with my first one, or the one I have now. Can't think of any "issues" that are any different than any other bottleneck rifle cartridge for reloading.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dr.475:
i was reading cartridges of the world last pm and in the .243 write up there was an editors note that indicated that hand loading the .243 winchester could present some challenges. any one care to comment? thanks in advance tom

Which edition of COW was that? It would be interesting to identify the editor and run his bio through a "personal issues check".

I am not really a fan of the .243...I've only owned maybe 5 or 6 of them over my lifetime, but found them all easy to load for... and that includes each of

- pre-'64 M70 FW (22" bbl.)
- pre-64 M-70 Varmint (26" heavy factory bbl.)
- S&L M62 free rifle (28" factory bbl.)
- T/C'83 (24" factory bbl.)
- My current custom .243 rifle, built on a Rem 600 action with a 21: Schneider bbl.

and perhaps one or two others in the past.

Based on those rifles, from my own experience when I see someone say that in COW, I'll have to run up the flag: Roll Eyes

bsflag

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i was reading cartridges of the world last pm and in the .243 write up there was an editors note that indicated that hand loading the .243 winchester could present some challenges.
From my 9th Edition COTW, page 30:

(Editor's note: The .243 has garnered a reputation among ballisticians for erratic performance. Handloaders should keep this firmly in mind.)

I would not be so hasty to call BS on a bunch of other shooters's experiences out of hand. This topic comes up from time to time with varied comments. Just because one person did not see "erratic performance" (whatever that refers to) doesn't mean that others might not have. Some other opinions:

http://thefiringline.com/forum...ex.php?t-402839.html

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...php/topics/2327074/1

http://www.pmulcahy.com/ammuni...mall_arms_rounds.htm

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=106753.0

http://thehunterslife.com/foru...dex.php?t-14657.html

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
anyone who can't a find good load for a 243, must be the same type that can't pour water from a boot very easily either...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I don't know, my 243 sure does like a healthy dose of Ramshot Hunter behind a 80 gr Barnes TTSX.

Found it on the first trip to the range when trying to find a load to boot!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mostly in the "old wives tale" category.

Early renditions of the .243, particularly some European-produced rifles, did have somewhat tight bores. This lead some people to erroneously conclude that the .243 was "erratic" or "temperamental". It is neither.

What may cause some people to believe this is that the case capacity/bore ratio of the .243 makes it better suited to somewhat slower powders than most people realize. When faster than optimum powders are used with in this case, particularly with heavier bullets, then pressures can jump rather quickly -- however, this is not a fault of the cartridge or rifle, but rather a result of less than optimal powder selection. For example, you know when you've got room left in the case with a full-power load of H-4831 (as you will with a 100 grain bullet) that loading IMR-3031 in it is going to be a bit dicey.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote