New
Find
Notify
Tools

bad batch winchester brass for 270?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
4th reloading win 270 (new unprimed) had real trouble bolt lift with my acc load 57.9 gr H4831/wlr/sierra 140. saw angled split starting up shoulder from where it meets case body. i neck size only. got home & saw every shell had exactly same very fine hair-like line(mirror image of "7"). examined 10 once-fired brass i had saved & loaded for hunting with this acc load i had worked up.all have same "scratch". all brass are of same batch:i still have 5 virgin cases in the bag of 50. have never seen this shape split & never on relatively new brass. yes, i check after brass comes out of tumbler. neck sized a virgin shell today & it is not the die. i carefully clean chamber after the barrel; have not annealed. have NEVER had problem with RP brass until 10 or more strings & then only beginning crack on neck itself, when it gets trashed.did i get batch of brittle brass??

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have something in your chamber that is leaving the mark on the brass.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the last few years i have thought that winchester brass has been getting harder and harder. I switched to Remington brass for most calibers and am having great results. Remington brass is softer and it requires trimming more often but I am on load number 6 using 58gr. of IMR 4831 behind a 130 gr. bullet and have had good results. I think they will need to be chunked after this load but I dont like loading over 6 or 7 times on one case anyway.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerMight be something in the chamber leaving a mark or may be the brass. Full lenght a couple and shoot them. With all the communists, communist sympathizers, illeagel aliens and terroists in these country and some making compontents for reloading , it is a wonder we get anything that works at all. Looks like some of these American (?) companies would say enough is a enough and get with the program of turning out some real good products. The more we get into the thinking that we have to depend upon communists to live the worse it will get until one day they will rule over us! gunsmile

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blob1:
SmilerMight be something in the chamber leaving a mark or may be the brass. Full lenght a couple and shoot them. With all the communists, communist sympathizers, illeagel aliens and terroists in these country and some making compontents for reloading , it is a wonder we get anything that works at all. Looks like some of these American (?) companies would say enough is a enough and get with the program of turning out some real good products. The more we get into the thinking that we have to depend upon communists to live the worse it will get until one day they will rule over us! gunsmile

bewilderedWhy didn't I think of that! It's not your chamber, it's the Commies! mgun Well, duh homer, of course.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote